Saving Money on Christmas Gifts

With an expanding family that includes children, grandchildren (four new babies in the last two years!) our family has come up with this way to deal with holiday gift giving. None of use credit cards! We are not credit card people. So there is no horrible 'after Christmas' debt.

Guys buy for guys, girls for girls. The gifts go into two baskets, and everyone lucky dips. If you don't like the gift you have drawn, you are perfectly free to swap it with someone else, if you can find someone who wants to exchange with you.

It has its funny moments. One year a family member who had just started a diet, drew a large box of chocolates. She didn't look at all happy, but found someone who swapped the chocolates for an ornament she wanted.

We also contribute to the Christmas food, each family member brings cake, salads, whatever to share at the host family's table. All this does help to keep rising costs down for everyone.

We are actually starting this in 2008! My family now includes my parents , my 4 siblings and their spouses, 6 nieces (plus two of their husbands) a nephew, a great-niece and a Great-nephew. Mind you ...I'm a 25 yr old struggling college student and with my parents being the exception everyone else is under 40! and 5 are under age 4!

I shop for Christmas all year long. I go to yard sales, and church rummage sales. I get really great gifts for cheap, and I feel that I'm helping the environment by recycling.

I make sure all clothing is clean, and all toys are properly disinfected. Some things I get are brand new.

I store them in a closet, and if I forget someones birthday, I can go to the closet and pick them out something nice. Then I give them a verbal birthday card, also helping the environment.

Hope this is useful for someone!

A woman carrying Christmas gifts.
Saving Money on Christmas Presents
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts AdviceDecember 1, 2006
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
A woman wrapping Christmas gifts.
Christmas Gift Wrapping Tips
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎄