Creating Mementos from Funeral Flowers, Ribbons, and Baskets

My 15 year old niece was tragically killed in a car accident on August 3rd. With her age in mind, I am trying to think of creative things to do with dried flowers, pressed flowers, ribbons, and baskets leftover from the funeral. I am also taking care of all the plants at my house since I have a sunroom.

I have pressed some of the flowers, but I have never actually done anything before so I am not sure what works and what doesn't. I don't want to waste the flowers trying a bunch of Internet ideas. One idea I had for the ribbons (bows) was to make a wind chime for her 12 year old sister by tying the ribbons to a ring and attaching bells to the bottom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you need to email with the answers that will be fine too. Thank you!

By Amanda

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

My heart goes out to you, and your family. Maybe you could make her a lamp by gluing the flowers and ribbons the the base, or a wall hanging with a dowel, hang the ribbons, glue the flowers on them. Glue the flowers on to one of the baskets, for a trinket collector.

I'm so sorry for your loss and I feel especially sad for her sister who must be so upset. One idea I had is perhaps you could make a scrapbook. Where there is someone else in the picture and they sent flowers/ribbon you could include them on that page. Also if any of the flowers can be rooted you might be able to start a little garden of remembrance. Be sure to take pictures of everything in case they fade or do not dry successfully. I'm sorry I have no advice on how to dry/press the flowers. Take care of yourself. It is so easy in a time like this to try to do everything and end up loosing sleep etc. Your niece is lucky to have an aunt who cares so much. God Bless.

Personally, the scrapbook idea is wonderful. Use pictures of your neice that has passed and include as many pictures as possible of her and her sister together. This will be a book that the little sister will keep forever! Those flowers and momentos will look beautiful in the scrapbook. Go to your nearest scrapbooking store to get ideas on the best way to preserve the flowers and to put them into the book. They must be acid free so that the pages will not be ruined with time. If you want to, you can contact some of the girls closest friends to write a letter to the sister in remembrance of her sister that passed. Those well wishes will be a treasured momentos that you can include in the book as well.

I am sure you will do a great job, no matter what you decide to do. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Lisa

You could make book markers with the dried flowers. Put the flowers between to pieces of stiff plastic, punch a small hole on top and insert a ribbon.

Answer

Crafts AdviceSeptember 4, 2011
Saving Money on Funeral Expenses, A headstone at a cemetery.
Saving Money on Funeral Expenses
Flowers on a grave.
Financial Responsibility for Funeral Costs
Wicker Basket
Repairing Wicker Baskets
1st prize ribbon
Displaying Award Ribbons
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 4:05:41 PM on 10.0.0.137 in 541 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.