Chemicals in Household Products

Recently I have learned about the vast amount of harmful chemicals in make up, skin care, hair care, and bath and body products. In the past, I have spent very little money on these products by buying them at Wal-mart. Now that I have educated myself on some of the ingredients, I am switching brands or making some of my own products. Check products that you use for your family at:

This site not only rates the hazard level of products like toothpaste, deodorant, make up, baby care products, etc, but explains what ingredients are in the product and why it rates the way it does.

By Tracey from Duluth, MN

You are completely right the household products that we buy at the stores are full of harmful chemicals. Research are finding out that many cancers and other illnesses are due to these products. I always thought we were protected that the goverment had laws that these products must have warning lables on them, but there is no law. They don't warn the public at all. The United States of America Federal Code of Regulations exempts manufacturers from full labeling of products if used for personal, family or household care. [USA FCR: Section 1910.1200C, Title 29, Section 1500.82 2Q1A]Environmental Protection Agency studies have shown that indoor air pollution can be 3 to 70 times higher than outdoors.

Almost 50% of all illness is due to poor indoor air quality [1989 State of Massachusetts Study]

According to the National Safety Council, more children under the age of 4 die of accidental household poisonings than are accidentally killed by guns at home

The EPA conducted a study that found that toxic chemicals in household cleaners are three times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor air pollution.

Of 2,983 chemicals analyzed that are found in personal care products:

884 are toxic

146 can cause tumors

218 can cause reproductive complications

778 cause acute toxicity

314 can cause biological mutations

376 can cause skin and eye irritations

[Source: United States House of Representatives Report through NIOSH, 1989]

Ingestion only accounts for about 10% of household poisonings. 90% of poisoning happens through inhalation and skin absorption. Household bleaches which claim to disinfect are classified as pesticides under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act. Inadvertently mixing bleach with other cleaners that contain ammonia produces a toxic chloramines gas. These toxic gases can cause coughing, loss of voice, a feeling of burning or suffocation, and even death. [Source: Guide to Hazardous Products Around the Home, Household Hazardous Waste Project, 1989]

Formaldehyde is a highly toxic substance and one of the most common indoor air pollutants. It is a highly suspected cancer-causing agent. It is an irritant to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs and may cause a wide variety of reactions, including skin reactions, ear infections, headaches, depression, joint pain, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, vomiting, sleep disturbances, and many more. How many of these names would you have recognized as formaldehyde? Manufactures can legally use over 30 different trade names for this chemical. Below are some:

Quaternium-15 (formaldehyde releasing agent)

Methyl Aldehyde

Methylene Oxide

Methylene Glycol

Formalin 40

Formic Aldehyde

I have found Non-toxic products that we switched to and use daily now. These products also save me a lot of money too. There are you cleaning products, laundry items, bath & body items, medicine cabinet items, dental care, pet care, beauty items, plus many many more.

The site you list may be okay, but if you sign up for updates on the bulletins and later decide it's not for you, there is nowhere to unsubscribe. At least, nowhere I could find. The site is way too detailed for what I need at this time. I e-mailed the site to ask about the unsubscribe problem. Hope to hear.

Shaklee has been around for 50 years and has many clinical studies stating that the cleaners in your house, the vitamins you give your kids and many cosmetics you use every day are harmful for yourself. That is why they have been the leader for 50 years providing a healthy environment safe products without all the chemicals. I know! I used to use some nasty products to clean my bathroom and would have a really bad headache and my lungs would burn. I have been using Shaklee and share it with my friends/family and they too do not have harmful products for their families. Did you know that 54% of moms who stay home have a higher chance of getting cancer due to the amount of chemicals that they are around from these products?

Forget my beef about unsubscribing: if you do subscribe you will receive an email welcoming you to the site. Then you can unsubscribe. Sorry I was so quick to find fault.

Wow, oh wow! Thanks so much for posting this web site! I had no idea there were so many bad things in the everyday things we use.

Trish in CT

It's not just the chemicals you have to worry about -- but some people don't know about the added colors they add too. Like the red-blue-yellow. When you see that i never buy it cause the color is getting into your system a little at a time - so just stick to natural things.

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 23, 2007
Pet Ferret
Household Products for Removing Pet Odors
Homemade Beauty Products
Storing Homemade Beauty Products
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
boy looking over the edge of an aboveground pool
Household Chemicals for Pool Maintenance