ReusingGreen Living

Empty Can to Hold Utensils When Cooking

Here is what I use to prevent spilled mess on my counter when I am cooking. I usually use more than one utensil when I am cooking but never know where to place them during the cooking time as I am still using them. Well, since I usually use some type of canned goods with all my meals, I came up with the following idea.

I rinse the can that I used, then I use it as a utensil holder while I am cooking. Once I am done cooking, I place the utensils in the sink, rinse the can again and recycle it. So it's kinda like recycling it twice. The bonus is that it saves a mess to clean off my counter or a plate.

By tomnsaby from Albuquerque, NM

Anonymous

Good idea :-) What I do is just place the utensils on an old fashioned small utensil plate/dish or the countertop and wipe/wash with soaped dish rag. Always rinse cans, bottles, etc for recycling.

Yes good idea. I do that too or lay my utensil (s) on the empty box if I used some sort of boxed mix. I have a couple spoon rests in my kitchen as well that are veggie theme to match my kitchen decor (purchased at a garage sale). I think laying down a piece of paper towel or even a piece of waxed paper would work too but your idea costs nothing and keeps the counter/stove tidy. It's definitely a good frugal way to do things!

Good Idea! I also do this. I also use a plate or some dish that I have used to cut or mix something. I also rinse the cans, cut the bottom out and smash the can in half, thus, taking up less room in the trash!

I use the plastic circle top covers from all coffees as the spot on the counter for used cooking utensils. They wash up easily and I have a collection that is used daily.

Why not just get a spoon rest at the Dollar Tree?

Using the same container for all the utensils you are using can be unsanitary. I keep margarine tubs and their lids as they get emptied. Then I wash them good. I use one of these lids for each utensil while I cook. Then when it's time to do the dishes, these get washed along with everything else.

I have a small dish that I got at the dollar store and I keep it on the counter next to the stove. This is where I store the lids. I don't like spoon rests either for the same reason.

I never thought about doing this. I think it will work great for me especially when making a big pot of soup. The tomato can sitting on the stove will be perfect to hold the long handle wooden spoon I use to keep the soup stirred. Thank you for this tip. You have my vote.

That is a good idea. I am going to save my cans until I am through cooking. One can will hold that food's serving spoon! What a good idea!

It gives the can one more use before it hits the landfill! That I like!

Blessings, Robyn

I do this, too, but when I'm cooking and nothing from a can was used, then I use a spoon rest. I never thought to share the idea. Thanks.

Good idea thanks :) Our area doesnt recycle so I will just use the can to hold utensils then toss the can when finished. Plus it saves a messy counter or using a paper towel to lay the utensils on :)

I made a big pot of soup this week and after stirring it with my long handle wooden spoon, I looked for a place to set the spoon down. This tip popped into my mind and I reached over to the sink and grabbed the tomato can. It worked perfectly. Holding the can over the soup while placing the spoon inside caught all the drips and I just set it on the stove until I was finished with it. When I first read this tip, I had a feeling it would work well and it did. There was no mess on the stove to clean up.