Large Ziploc Bags to Brine Turkey

Can you use a XXL size Ziploc bag to brine a medium size turkey in? I can't seem to find a large 5 gal. pot that will cover my turkey. I have also found some brining bags on Martha Stewart's website for $4 each. Have anyone tried those?

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I'm not sure about the Ziplock brand (the XXL ones I have only say "not recommended for microwave use"). You may want to contact Ziplock about it.But the Hefty Jumbo (2.5 gallon) are for food storage also. I don't know if they make a larger size.

I've done this! You'll want to double bag xxl freezer bags or oven bags and set them in a large bowl in the fridge.

I don't have room in my fridge to brine a turkey, so I use a cooler. I put lots of ice chunks in and around the turkey and it stays nicely all night until ready to grill or bake. I make ice chunks in 3 pound tubs that I get margarine in. Or cottage cheese containers work also.

I've used the large ziploc. The only issue is that it will want to roll out of the fridge. Otherwise, worked great!

The Ziploc bags are all made of the same material, so the XXL one should work fine for the turkey. Set it on a rimmed cookie sheet just in case of a puncture, and to prevent the rolling mentioned by an earlier poster!

Emeril uses a black trash bag and puts it in a cooler. I've never tried it, but it sounded good.

TC in MO

The turkey sized oven cooking bags will work well if you tie them tightly at the top.

Judy

I just used a bucket that pickles came out of. Just about any 5 gallon would hold a medium turkey.

Check google for many different recipes!!

Answer

Cooking a Turkey
Brining a Turkey
Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatNovember 5, 2008
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Ziploc Bag
Using Ziploc Bags
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
A cooked turkey that was soaked in a brine before cooking.
Making a Poultry Brine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 3:03:01 PM on 10.0.0.216 in 375 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.