Large Ziploc Bags to Brine Turkey

Can you use a XXL size Ziploc bag to brine a medium size turkey in? I can't seem to find a large 5 gal. pot that will cover my turkey. I have also found some brining bags on Martha Stewart's website for $4 each. Have anyone tried those?

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Dannie (Guest Post) 11/06/2008

I'm not sure about the Ziplock brand (the XXL ones I have only say "not recommended for microwave use"). You may want to contact Ziplock about it.But the Hefty Jumbo (2.5 gallon) are for food storage also. I don't know if they make a larger size.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Amy Singh 3 117 11/06/2008

I've done this! You'll want to double bag xxl freezer bags or oven bags and set them in a large bowl in the fridge.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 11/06/2008

I don't have room in my fridge to brine a turkey, so I use a cooler. I put lots of ice chunks in and around the turkey and it stays nicely all night until ready to grill or bake. I make ice chunks in 3 pound tubs that I get margarine in. Or cottage cheese containers work also.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Heather Kinsler 11/06/2008

I've used the large ziploc. The only issue is that it will want to roll out of the fridge. Otherwise, worked great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Shirley Darby 7 47 11/06/2008

The Ziploc bags are all made of the same material, so the XXL one should work fine for the turkey. Set it on a rimmed cookie sheet just in case of a puncture, and to prevent the rolling mentioned by an earlier poster!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Timmie 5 85 11/06/2008

Emeril uses a black trash bag and puts it in a cooler. I've never tried it, but it sounded good.

TC in MO

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Judy (Guest Post) 11/07/2008

The turkey sized oven cooking bags will work well if you tie them tightly at the top.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 447 2,068 11/07/2008

I just used a bucket that pickles came out of. Just about any 5 gallon would hold a medium turkey.
Check google for many different recipes!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No