Pasta Sauce Keeps Burning

No matter how low I cook it, my pasta sauce always scorches. Is it because I use a metal pot?

By Veronica

Many reasons why this can happen: Most pots are metal, so I don't know what other kind you could use. A heavy pot is best. Avoid cheap tinny pots for this purpose. Your heat may be too high and you need to stir it up from the bottom often. The stove may be the problem. Electric burners (especially on older ranges) don't let the heat get low enough. There are heat diffusers you can put on the element to let the food simmer more slowly. Hope that helps.

If you have a slow cooker (crock pot), you could try it in there; it will certainly take longer; but no chance of scorching! If you have an electric stove (as I do), it is harder to control the lower heat settings. I cannot use a heat diffuser on mine (flat top); but that is also a good idea; works for gas stoves, too. You might even try the microwave, would take some adapting, but you could easily do that, as well.

You must cook it slowly. Do not let it boil. Just heat it so the top of the sauce barely moves when it is cooking. Also you might spray the bottom of the pot with cooking spray or pour a little oil on it.

I usually put my meatballs and sauce in a casserole dish and put it in the oven at 325 degrees for about an hour. You can also do a little lower temperature for a longer time if you work outside the home and want to put it in on your lunch hour and have it ready for dinner. The longer it is in the oven, the more the sauce gets soaked into the meatballs. No scorching this way.

Try a heavy bottomed pot such as cast iron.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMay 16, 2011
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes