Jam & JellyCondiments

Plum Pancake Topping

I find most syrups too sweet, and since we had a bumper crop of plums this year (my husband is still picking them in the snow!) I invented this recipe. It is a very casual recipe, but it does require boiling water bath if you want to preserve it for later in the year.

Fill a large pan with pitted plums, measuring the number of cups. If the fruit is large, be sure to cut them up to bite-sized pieces. Add 1 cup of water to prevent sticking and turn on the stove burner to medium-high. Bring to a simmer and after they have wilted down soft, sweeten them to taste. I used about 1 cup of sugar per 3 cups of plums, but this is entirely adjustable. You can also use Splenda in place of all or some of the sugar.

Simmer again for five minutes. Pack into jars and put on hot lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes for pints or 20 minutes for quarts. Serve on pancakes or plain cake.

By Coreen from Rupert, ID