Removing a Musty Smell from Faux Leather Furniture - Categories:

FurnitureCleaning

Removing a Musty Smell from Faux Leather Furniture

I just bought a foam filled leatherette suite. It has a damp smell. There is no way I can open and clean the interior. I have only had it one night, but it smells horrible. Will the smell go away in my centrally heated house? Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Joanna

Answers

I had just recently dealt with a situation where one of the rooms in my house received mild water damage. What I always find to work best for smell, especially on faux fabric surfaces, is baking soda.

Separate the cushions and pillows from the frame as best you can. Prepare a bucket of warm water with a heaping cup of baking soda mixed in. Use an old towel to moisten all of the surfaces of the faux leather, not leaving it too wet. For areas that are especially stinky, sprinkle some dry baking soda over it. Allow the baking soda to work for a few hours, then wipe the surfaces clean with a fresh towel, warm water and a little dish soap.

The baking soda should absorb most of the smell, unless it permeates through the foam filling as well. You could possibly sprinkle some baking soda inside the cushions if they are accessible. Baking soda is simply a life saver. Good luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureAugust 5, 2011
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
Man's hands cleaning a leather couch.
Leather Furniture Cleaner Recipes
musty smelling wood trunk
Removing Musty Odors from Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:24:22 AM on 10.0.1.174 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.