Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Growing Lavender in Texas

I took a trip to Oregon and went through an area that had lavender farms. I am in love with the fragrance! I have tried to grow it in South Texas but I guess it's too warm! Is it possible to plant seeds now and expect a harvest? Rosemary grows a lot here and it seems to be the same type of plant. Any suggestions?

Isabel

By Louise Leahy [3]03/19/2009

I live in the Texas Hill Country and have had trouble growing lavendar. Never had any luck at all from seeds, but a year ago I planted a lavendar plant I got at Walmart and it is thriving (right next to the rosemary). There is an herb farm over in Fredericksburg (not far from us) that grows lavendar. They have a Web site at http://www.fredericksburgherbfarm.com and can no doubt give good advice. Good luck!

By Christine Anderson [5]03/19/2009

Yes Isabel, lavender is very close to rosemary. I grow then alongside each other here in Australia. We are experiencing a very bad drought and they need less water than a lot of other plants. I bought it as a very small plant at the plant nursery and it has grown to about 5 ft tall. It needs very little looking after, just a light prune after flowering.

By Tapestry Lady [2]03/19/2009

I don't have any personal experience with that, but lavender is native to the hotter regions of the world. It tends to like drier soils and sun. If it seems to be baking too much you might try planting it where it has some shade in the hottest hours of the day. There are lots of different varieties so you could ask at a local nursery which ones might do well in your area. Lavender can actualy do pretty well in containers, so you might even try growing it in a sunny spot in the house! You should be able to get plants from seed now but I don't know if it'll bloom the first year (mine hasn't, is it just me?). The foliage smells nice, though.