Feeding Dogs Garlic and Onion

Raw garlic and onion is not to be given to my dog, but is liquid, cooked, or powdered OK? These are called for in homemade recipes.

By Helen from Royal, AR

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Keeper 58 1,056 03/14/2010

I found this on line:Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kathy 27 25 03/15/2010

Try reading this, it has the pros and cons. I have always sprinkled a little garlic powder (not garlic SALT) on both my dogs' food a few times a week. It does repel fleas, it does not kill the fleas.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jennifer Nelson 1 314 03/16/2010

Please check the poison control list from the ASPCA http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.html
Instead of garlic, I would put a little oregano on the food. (This was suggested by my dog's Oncologist.)

Jennifer Northern Virginia

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

I wouldn't risk it because it depends on the dogs age, weight and health. It might not hurt them in the short term but can cause anemia over time :-(

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Here are questions related to Feeding Dogs Garlic and Onion.

Question: Feeding Dogs Garlic

I thought dogs weren't allowed to have garlic? Is this true? I read that they also should not eat onion or avocado, that surprised me.

By Lori from PA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Betty 104 753 04/04/2012

There is so much misinformation out there concerning garlic and dogs! Of course we should never feed our pets garlic pods but garlic powder is in a lot of pet foods. In fact, I have a dog meatloaf recipe that I got from my vet that includes a little garlic powder for seasoning. My dog is still alive and well and he's going on 5 years old.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Garlic for Dogs

My dog had a very bad skin infection and I now make him rice, peas, lamb, and garlic all cooked together. His skin has healed and he looks and feels great. What is the long term bad effect of garlic? It is cooked in his food and he never gets fleas even at the dog park.

By R

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

Please know that the informational link supplied by ThatKiddo is outdated. It is now known that any amount of garlic (or anything in the allium plant family such as leeks, chives, green onions, all bulb onions and even allium florals such as lily's) can cause Heinz Body Anemia which is irreversable and a horrid way to die :-(

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No