Raw garlic and onion is not to be given to my dog, but is liquid, cooked, or powdered OK? These are called for in homemade recipes.
By Helen from Royal, AR
I found this on line:Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.
Try reading this, it has the pros and cons. I have always sprinkled a little garlic powder (not garlic SALT) on both my dogs' food a few times a week. It does repel fleas, it does not kill the fleas.
Please check the poison control list from the ASPCA http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.html
Instead of garlic, I would put a little oregano on the food. (This was suggested by my dog's Oncologist.)
Jennifer Northern Virginia
Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.
I thought dogs weren't allowed to have garlic? Is this true? I read that they also should not eat onion or avocado, that surprised me.
By Lori from PA
Right - no garlic, onions, avocados or grapes/raisins. There is something in each of these foods that their systems can't process. Also chocolate - the darker it is, the more toxic it is.
Anything in the allium family such as any type of onion, garlic and even lily's are toxic and can cause death poisoning depending on the size and breed of the dog (and cats). It also causes, among other diseases, Heinz Body Anemia.
The reason you shouldn't feed dogs avocadoes is because it can cause vomiting and diarrhea (which in turn can dehydrate your fur baby). They contain a substance (Persin) that they cannot digest properly.
And Rchinaberr is correct about grapes and raisins too. That also depends on the dogs size and breed and how much they eat. Too large of quantities will cause kidney failure.
As for immediate death toxicity from chocolate the doses are as follows (pretty frightening when you consider how small of an amount one ounce is):
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.
There is so much misinformation out there concerning garlic and dogs! Of course we should never feed our pets garlic pods but garlic powder is in a lot of pet foods. In fact, I have a dog meatloaf recipe that I got from my vet that includes a little garlic powder for seasoning. My dog is still alive and well and he's going on 5 years old.
My dog had a very bad skin infection and I now make him rice, peas, lamb, and garlic all cooked together. His skin has healed and he looks and feels great. What is the long term bad effect of garlic? It is cooked in his food and he never gets fleas even at the dog park.
Check out this ...
Please know that the informational link supplied by ThatKiddo is outdated. It is now known that any amount of garlic (or anything in the allium plant family such as leeks, chives, green onions, all bulb onions and even allium florals such as lily's) can cause Heinz Body Anemia which is irreversable and a horrid way to die :-(