Birthday Gift Ideas for 18 Year Old Boyfriend

My boyfriend is turning 18 on February 25th. We have been going out for 3 months so far, it will be 4 soon. He's into emo, screamo, goth, paintball guns, and knives, but also has a soft side. I am not sure what to get him for his bday? He has asked me to marry him and we're very serious, but I can't think of anything to get him. Any ideas?

By ? from NY

Best Answer

Have you considered either buying him a gift certificate from his favourite store, so that he can choose what he'd really like & maybe add it towards any other gifts of cash that he may receive. Otherwise, go into the store & ask for suggestions, but make sure that he can change what you buy him, if he already owns what you've brought, or needs something else more. A really nice photo of yourself would also be much appreciated, for a frame on his desk, or wall & a small one for his wallet that he can 'show off' to his mates. :-) Men are romantic! lol.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Wendy

I gave the young adults at Christmas gift certificates to movie theater and certificates to fast food place or a restaurant you both like= instant date. Good for birthdays too.

Hey :-) My boyfriend and I had been together for around... eight months, and for his 17th I got him a silver guitar pick with a lyric to a song he said made him think about me before we started going out. That, and a jar of all the red sweeties out of jelly babies, haribo, jelly tots, fruit pastilles etc. cause those were his favourite ones. But he's eighteen in like, two weeks, and I'm not sure what to get him which will sorta top what I got him last year lol. But I hope this helps :)

My boyfriend is turning 18. I am already 18, but he has always gotten me the best gifts ever. Now I am working and I am throwing him a surprise party and I want to get him a big special gift. Please help!

By Samantha from Knoxville, TN

I'm 16 and my fiance is turning 18 on the 7th. I have no idea what to get him this year. We've been together for almost 2 years and for some reason I'm totally going crazy on figuring out what to get this time. I think it's because he's 18 and he's really psyched about it. So now I'm all pressured to get him something he'll really like. I have no idea what to do. Please help.

By Rawr'3 from MI

Answers:

Being 16 and boyfriend going on 18 looking for a birthday gift. You are planning on getting married (so fiance indicates). Make it something simple like a photo of the two of you, make a special frame to go with it. There are lots of craft ways from leather frames, paint your own, etc.
Spending a lot of a birthday is just in the moment when you plan to spend the rest of your life together. It is going to be expensive without material things used as celebratory measures.

I was married at 19 and the one thing I told my husband was to never surprise me with an expensive gift when we owe money to anyone via bills. Charging/using money meant for stability just breeds instability. There is nothing that I could have wanted over the security that there were no collectors at the door. In this economy, keep it simple. Plan a day where you do breakfast together, take a walk, do simple things like enjoy each other. Give him a flower, a nice card you wrote. These are what he will remember as well as you.
And if your life does not continue together on the same path, you still will appreciate the friendship in knowing him. (07/07/2010)

By T&T Grandma

I have 2 boys and no matter how old they get (23 and 26), they love toys. Go to the toy store and buy him a water gun (and one for you too!). You can't beat that on a hot day chasing each other around at the park.
(07/08/2010)

By tltrani

I'm 16 and my boyfriend is 17. His birthday is June 7th and our 3 month anniversary will be on May 21st. I have absolutely no idea what to do for his 18th birthday. I don't want to be too personal about it, but I also don't want it to seem like I'm bored with him or whatever. So please if you have any advice for me that would be truly appreciated.

By *itty*bit* from Davenport, WA

Answers:

boyfriend=best friend

Hello itty bitty,
A relationship with a boy is the same as most other relationships in your life. You mentioned you are 16 so I can see why you worry about not getting something "too personal" because this would imply to him that you are "getting too serious". Well since you are together now you must have a good thing going on and so get something that you would give to a good friend. It's OK for you two to let each other know you're into the other.

A cool idea is to plant a tree for them. OK it's out, I'm a crazy treehugger, but if you plant a tree now, it will be so much bigger in a few years and perhaps you guys will still be together and you'll be able to visit the tree. And even if you're not, hopefully you can manage to be somewhat friends who can appreciate this one birthday as a good day in each of your lives. A tree will last a long time and yet change all the while so that's why it's such a good semblance of the passage of time which is also measured by most people for who they spent that time with. Or a killer CD is "I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One" (not as cheesy as it sounds) or "I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass" both by Yo La Tengo. Cheap CDs, find them probably at your local used book/music store. (05/06/2010)

By wishsparkle

I'm 16 as well and my boyfriend is turning 18 on the 14th. I got him a pair of boxer shorts that have kisses all over them, like lips. It depends on who your boyfriend is, but I know he'll like them. I also got him a picture frame. I'm gonna put a picture of when we went to prom in it and on top of all of that, I'm throwing him a surprise party. He lives about an hour and half away from me and I'm driving out there without him knowing that his family and I are throwing him a party, it's gonna be so awesome. Good luck with your boyfriend. (05/08/2010)

By rachelam123

My boyfriend is turning 18 on the 15th and I have decided what to do. I just don't know how to do it, if that makes sense. I am going to go 1-18 and for every number put something, (example: 18 candy kisses, 17 butterflies, (he gives me butterflies), 16 stars (to wish on) etc.). My only problem is I don't know how to go about organizing it. Should I put it on a poster board or what?

By Amanda from Hickory, NC

Answers:

How about 18 boxes that fit inside each other, each one wrapped like a present, but big enough to hold both the previous box and the numbered gift idea? It may end up pretty big, think moving box; but it is one idea. You could do clues and send him on a treasure hunt for each gift. (03/12/2010)

By thriftmeg

My boyfriend is turning 18. I want to get him something special, but I'm not good at the gift giving thing. I'll end up buying him something I'd like. Help me.

Sara from GA

Answers:

Tickets to an event he'd like are always a good bet. (10/30/2007)

By lee

Why not give him a gift certificate for two free movie passes. That way, you both can enjoy the gift.

Sharon (10/30/2007)

By kidzrus

Gas gift cards. (11/01/2007)

By Sheryl

A stocking stuffed with his favorite candy, and if he's a gamer, get him an upcoming game he'll like or console accessories (wireless controller etc.). Decorate the stocking with his name. Include a picture of the two of you in a nice frame. Maybe a CD he'll like. A stocking is the way to go, you can pick and choose little things to go in it depending on what type of guy he is. (12/05/2007)

How about a scrapbook of pictures of you and your boy, and also movie stubs from movies you've been to together? (12/10/2007)

By Mallory

I bought my boyfriend a book from Barnes and Noble last Valentine's Day called "What I love about you". I filled out the whole book and then got a giftcard from 2 different places for $50 each. So maybe something personal along with a giftcard to somewhere he'd like. You can get one pretty much anywhere and in the price range of your budget. (02/05/2008)

By Aviana

He doesn't really need pictures of you and him together. That's not how guys psychologically work. They aren't relationship oriented when it comes to things, but goal oriented. So tickets to an event are a good idea. Things that you like about him are a good personal idea as it helps show him he's succeeding at something, but also remember the best way to support him isn't thinking "something he can do with me" think about it as "something he can do with the guys".

You supporting him by getting him and a buddy something to do shows even more love. If there is gaming involved, you could even go a step beyond and learn how to game yourself, and than throw a party like that for him. My boyfriend's gift was a home cooked dinner followed by rock climbing and some lazer tag passes for him and his friends. (02/22/2008)

By seregiel

For my boyfriends 18th, I got him some really good smelling cologne (very sexy, for him from Victoria's Secret) and a really nice watch. He loved it. (07/12/2008)

By Kenzi

For my boyfriend's birthday, I'm making him a journal like thing, telling him how much he means to me, why I love him, and stuff like that. He'll love it. (08/04/2008)

By katie

Hey, so my boyfriend is turning 19 this year, but we've been together for a year and half. So when he turned 18 we hadn't really been dating that long so I put together a little "movie night kit". I went to a craft store and picked out a fleece fabric that fits his personality (he's a huge Sox fan so I chose a white Sox pattern, etc.). I made him one of those tie blankets. Then I picked up the first movie he and I ever saw together, and I bought movie snacks. It was really easy and not that expensive.

Other gifts I've given him were things like my favorite men's cologne (and he wears it all the time now), a scrapbook, glow in the dark boxers, and love coupons. They were really easy. He thought they were cute and I know he still has them, but he never uses them. I made him a CD of love songs that we both like.

Also remember the best way to support him isn't thinking "something he can do with me" think about it as "something he can do with the guys".

I think that since this should be a personal gift from you, that it should be at least something that makes him think of you, if not something that you two can do together. Instead of excluding yourself from the plans maybe include them somewhere in the night if you feel like it is necessary for them to be there. Personally I feel that it is important bonding time for the two of you and you are allowed to have nights with just the two of you and you don't need to consider the friends, just like how he gets guys nights.

Does he do any gaming on the computer? His gaming would be a really personal touch to bring into the gift idea. Something other than a game that might be cute would be to go to like a place where you develop pictures and you can normally have them print pictures on other thinks. Maybe you could do a mouse pad or something. You can even do this at Jewel Osco. But be careful you might need to have it shipped and stuff, but its something to look into.

This year for his 19th birthday I think I'm taking him either downtown Chicago for a day or to a comedy show. But those are some ideas.

(08/10/2008)

By Christine

My boyfriend is turning 20

My boyfriend is happy with what ever I really get him. One thing you should know if you love each other, he'll love you for getting him a gift or no. My birthday is next month. Honestly I don't want anything because it seems like everyone is going through money problems. Anyways what does he really need?

You could get him something he'd wear, like a pair of shoes or a polo or watch, and put that up with his favorite food or dessert. He'll love anything. You could make him dinner with just the two of you with candlelight. Corny, but he knows you love him. He will appreciate that you went out of your way just to think of him. (10/07/2008)

By Maria

I had no idea what to get him. But yesterday he joined the marines so I got him a knife and some really good cologne. Then I went to Party City and got camouflage wrapping paper, a plastic dog tag, and army hat. I added a helium camouflage balloon that said Happy Birthday. So when I came up to him, I had the dog take the hat and his presents, with a balloon it was fun, and he liked it. (10/30/2008)

By Kat

My boyfriend is turning 18 in 3 weeks and here's what I got him:
tickets to a Vikings game with me and then 18 odd things like 18 chocolate Hugs and Kisses, 18 suckers because I'm a sucker for his corniness, 18 balloons in his school's colors, and so on.

The little things are what make him smile and remember. I try to make it corny as possible, but also throw in a cool gift (the tickets) so its not way boring. Hope that helped. (11/19/2008)

By Isabel

My boyfriend is turning 18 in 1 month and I am getting him a Ferrari jacket, a cologne, and the Ed Hardy jacket, as well as, 2 shirts, and a cap. I love him so much. (12/15/2008)

By Karina

Here's some ideas:

Just see what he's into, ladies.
(01/28/2009)

By Danielle

When my boyfriend and I were together for one year. I took 13 pictures of us and I went to Kinkos and made him a calendar. Starting on our one year anniversary and ending on out 2 year. He flips it every month. So cute, 1 picture for each month and one for the cover.

I also recommend going to Walmart and buying letter stickers and on the cover you can put the months the calendar runs to ie., June 2009 to May 2010 and maybe happy birthday. If you have any tickets from stuff you have done you can put those in the calendar, too. Like if you went to go see a show in November then on the month on November in the calendar. Tape the ticket there, good luck. It was like 25 $ tops. (11/24/2009)

By shananana04