Butterfly Bush Not Blooming

My butterfly bush is not blooming this year, why? I have the one with blooms that look like little purple butterflies. It's about six ft. tall and three ft. wide, healthy but no blooms

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Norma from Deep South

Poor growth, wilting, yellowing, or leaf drop would all be signs of concern, but as long as your butterfly bush appear healthy, don't worry about it. From what you've written in your posts here, it sounds like you planted your butterfly bush about a year ago. Many times after planting a tree or shrub (even if blooming when you bought it), it takes a season or two for it to settle in before it starts blooming again. Some of this is due to transplant shock. For the first 1 to 3 years shrubs will often switch their focus into generating new roots rather than putting energy into pouring their energy into producing flowers. Your shrub may show some top growth while it's settling in, but the flowers will probably lag behind a bit.

Like most shrubs, butterfly bushes will benefit from a 2- to 3-inch layer of organic mulch. Once established they are fairly drought tolerant and only require moderate fertilization. Improper pruning is another reason butterfly bushes fail to flower. Pruning should be done in the early spring, leaving four to five buds at the base of each shoot. The exception to this is Fountain buddleia and Golden buddleia, which both flower on old wood. They should be pruned just after flowering in the summer. For best performance, make sure your butterfly bush has full sun and is not shaded by trees or buildings.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Don't know if this will help you but I give my

butterfly bush used coffee dreggs and water

it well, that includes misting all the branches.

Mine has given off so many blooms this year.

I've had it about 5 years and each year it gets

fuller and fuller.

Thanks! I'll try the coffee grounds. I've only had my bush a year, but when I bought it, it was blooming, but hasn't this year. Perhaps it takes a couple of years to produce blooms. What time of the year does yours start to bloom? What section of the country do you live in? Maybe that has something to do with it!

I live in western NJ. My bush has been blooming

for about a month now, while my girlfriend's just

started, she lives in western PA, and her mother's

has the little cone shaped buds but has not

bloomed yet either and she lives by NY city.

Sometimes I think "when" you planted it to begin

with makes a difference in when it blooms.

I did not get anything from my plant the first year,

but trimmed it up and almost started from scratch

and it's been doing great ever since. I actually

have to prune it often as it gets so full!! It's over

8 feet tall this year.

Oh, I know some people think it's nuts, but I

talk to my plants. lol.

Hope yours starts to bloom for you soon.

I live in the Alabama, and planted it about this time last year, so hopefully it will bloom next year.

I too, have had to cut it back...it grows so fast, but cutting doesn't seem to hurt it at all.

I do appreciate your response.

I bought some butterfly bushes online from Guerney's - around the beginning of June. When they arrived they were about 12 inches tall, & not very full - a few leaves. I planted right away and they are lush & full now & covered in blooms. The longest branches are about 36 inches long. I planted them in containers, as the area they are going to finally be planted in, isn't ready. I live in Massachusetts. We water often with Miracle Grow - about once a week.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceAugust 28, 2008
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Rice paper butterfly on small pink flowers
Making a Butterfly Garden
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush