Homemade Remedies to Remove Dirt from Carpet

I recently had a party whilst my parents were away. They've returned to find huge dirt stains on my newly laid cream carpet. I don't know much about the carpet, do you know any home remedies to get the dirt out?

Alicia from NSW, AUS

Yes. Call a steam cleaning company, and pay for having the service. Do not let them use any chemicals- just plain steam. They will argue. But since the carpet is newly laid, the chemicals will ruin it. And then, you should be responsible for putting down new carpet.

When I have a spot on the carpet, I put a little liquid dish soap (NOT dish washer) and some white vinegar in a dish, use a brush and go over the spot. Works wonders.

I f it is just dirt, and not grease or oil or foodstains, you should be able to rent a carpet cleaner and do this job yourself. I am assuming that you have such rentals, as we have them in Canada. If the dirt stains are fresh, you shouldn't have that much difficulty removing them. I suppose if you have dirt that has a high iron content (red soil) it might require some special spot treating, but I suspect that regular carpet cleaning will do it.

If you have a steam cleaner, it will likely do the job.

There should be no need to replace the carpet. Dirt should wash out with the steam cleaner. Just don't do as a previous person did in a earlier post and flood the place with the garden hose.

I'm assuming you know this, but before you try any cleaning product on carpet stains/spots. Vacuum the spots really well first. Often times, I have had good luck removing dirt stains with plain water!

Try baking soda.

Cleaning Carpet
Removing Dirt Stains from Rugs and Carpet
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetDecember 17, 2008
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet