Step By Step Spring Cleaning

"Spring Cleaning" conjures up a mental picture of a warm, sunny day spent airing out bedrooms, washing windows, and thoroughly vacuuming carpets. It signals the passing of winter gray outside and the freshness of a spring transformation inside your heart and home.

Follow these steps and you will have that freshly cleaned look that spring cleaning implies.

1. Vacuum the whole house and let some fresh breezes air it out. The whole house will begin to take shape and look fresher. Dust BEFORE you vacuum to make sure a room is really clean (allow 45 minutes). I ALWAYS dust after I vacuum as well to pick up what the vacuum stirred up!
  2. Ad

3. Clean your closet by putting away winter clothes and bringing out spring attire. Wash, iron, and mend clothing before it gets put away. Giveaway clothes you didn't wear and don't like (allow 90 minutes). I have a hard time giving perfectly good items away so I try to consign or give to a charity. Get rid of items you have not worn in one year OR that do not fit. I never am able to lose that 5 lbs!
  4. Wash your bedding and change your blankets for spring weather. Put away wool blankets and bring out spring comforters (60 minutes). I also use this time to refold any items in the line closet and relegate worn towels to the rag bag. More room in the closet!
  5. Put away winter coats, boots, and mittens, cleaning as you go through the front and back closets to your house (20 minutes). Match up those mates before storing away. Now is a great time to make a list of what items you'll need for next year
  6. Wash the windows to clear out winter gray that blocks your view. No more winter smudges to peer through (Average 8 minutes per window). I always clean both the inside and out as well as any blinds or window treatments
  7. Recycle newspapers, catalogs and newspapers that may have accumulated over the winter (15 minutes). I have to do this on a weekly basis!
  8. Clean out the refrigerator and have your first cookout of the season. A social event outdoors like a cookout or picnic marks the official beginning of spring in your life. (90 social minutes)
  9. Clean out the pantry and discard any out of date itemsor that jar of anchovy paste you are never going to use. Donate unexpired items to your local food pantry. I am even going to line with new shelf paper this spring!

Eventually:

Sweep out the garage and wash the cars. Vacuum, wax, and change the oil in your car to get ready for spring and summer trips.

Clean out the basement, donate or throw away items that are taking up space. Have a yard sale!

RELAX and enjoy the feeling of a clean house. Celebrate with a bubble bath, some aromatherapy candles and a glass of wine. Treat yourself to a nice dinner OUT!

* Bonus Tip: Clean out your garage from the center to the walls. Then place items by sections: game, craft, sports equipment, and gardening tool. Visualize garage sale income and beautiful, uncluttered space in these rooms as you proceed.

Source: My own obsessive cleaning nature and some excerpts from "10 Tips to Spring Cleaning" by Marcia Ramsland, "The Organizing Pro".

By Diana from Prospect, KY

Sounds good in theory...wish it were that simple in real life.

Amen!

Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Spring Cleaning (Inside Your House)
Home and Garden Cleaning Spring CleaningApril 11, 2008
Spring floral wall bucket using artificial flowers.
Homemade Spring Decorations
Woman Spring Cleaning Outside With Pressure Washer
Spring Cleaning (Outside Your House)
Dried Wreath With Crocus Flower
Homemade Spring Wreaths
Get Organized
Step by Step Guide To Get Organized
🎉
🎄