Toddler Mother's Day Craft

I am looking for a Mother's Day craft project to do with my cousin's 18 month old. Does anyone have any ideas?

Christy from Fulton, MS

Not sure what it's called but at craft stores, they sell a kit that you use to get the child's feet or hand print. It's not plaster of paris like used years ago. It's a soft malleable substance and comes in pink or blue and I think comes with a wooden plaque to put the shape when finished on. That would be easy and memorable for the mother. Or you could have a pair of the child's shoes bronzed.

On thriftyfun a few months ago, someone posted a cute wreath made from construction paper that they used the child's hand prints for as the wreath, that would be cute at that age.

What about taking some cute photos of the child, maybe 10 and put them in a small photo album for the mother. With spring here and all the flowers in bloom, some photos with flowers would be cute as your subject theme then create a pretty poem to go with them in the album.

You can do a hand print and add this poem:

I miss you when we're not together

I'm growing up so fast

See how big I've gotten

Since you saw me last?

As I grow, I'll change a lot,

The years will fly right by.

You'll wonder how I grew so quick

When and where and why?

So look upon this handprint (these handprints)

That's hanging on your wall.

And memories will come back of me,

When I was very small.

My boys and I did a hand print tee shirt for their dad when they were little guys. I used a black shirt and white paint. After patting their hands in the paint I would hold them by the wrist and sort of shake the hand to loosen the fingers and quickly plop them down on the shirt. I put heavy cardbosrd inside so the paint didn't run through. Our boys are 22 & 21 now and the shirt is still being worn by Dad!

When my son was about that age, I made cards with blue handprints on the front. I did one for all the mothers in our family. It didn't matter how messy they (or my son) turned out, it was still precious.

A cute idea (wish I would have thought of this years ago!) would be to include a photo of the little artist during, or after, the creation. That is a good idea for any craft that you are giving away.

My daughter-in-law made a tee shirt for Grampa. It was the painted hands, but on the back at the neck like a HUG. She also did the baby's behind.

The front she painted with "best Grandpa in the world..."NO IF AND OR BUTTS about it!" So cute!

Mother's Day Card
Mother's Day Craft Ideas
Crafts AdviceApril 30, 2008
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mom and Kids Celebrating Mother's Day
Celebrating Mother's Day
Gift basket with green ribbon.
Making a Mother's Day Gift Basket
Recipes and Food Ideas for Mother's Day
Recipes and Food Ideas for Mother's Day
🎉
🎄