Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

My spaghetti sauce is too salty; what do I need to do to tone it down?

By Nana from Tallahassee, FL

Best Answer

If you want to remove some of the salt from your spaghetti sauce, put it on the stove and reheat it while adding a whole potato to it. Let this cook for awhile (I'd say at least 10-15 minutes). Remove and discard the potato. Your sauce should be free of much of the salt.

Do you peel the potatoes first? And should you cut it in half?

Best Answer

PS I've also heard that lettuce leaves will absorb salt.

It's worth a try.

Instant potatoes should help, good luck.

You can also peel and slice a potato in two and put it in the sauce to absorb the excess salt. Throw the potato out when the sauce tastes the way you want it to.

I wasn't sure if you meant that it is too salty every time you make it, or just once!

If you are always finding it too salty, look at the ingredients you are using, if you use a packet or sauce out of a jar there will be plenty of salt in that already so don't add any more.

Are you using an Italian herb mix for seasoning? check the label for salt, if it contains salt you could try another brand that only contains herbs. Do you use a stock cube? (bouillon cube) They also contain a lot of salt so take care with those.

If you are following a recipe, take care to taste as you go to check the sauce is not to salty before it is too late!

I don't use salt at all when making my own spaghetti sauce; if you're making your own, using garlic, oregano, onion and basil liberally should make the need for salt go out the window. I also use fresh Roma tomatoes and one can of paste; there is salt in that paste, so sometimes we forego that altogether for a "fresh" sauce.

You can also throw in a splash of red table wine (not red cooking wine- this is loaded with sodium) and a Tbsp. of sugar ( Splenda would work as well) to counteract the acidity in the tomatoes and pump up the flavor, and toss in veggies like mushrooms and green pepper, again, more flavor and minimal sodium.

My spaghetti sauce is too salty. How can I make it taste better while storing it in the refrigerator?

Kathy from Tishomingo, OK

Answers:

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

If I understand the question, you want it to keep awhile in the fridge without using so much salt. If it's a tomato-based sauce with meat I'd cut back on salt and add a bit of red wine vinegar. Any vinegar will help it keep longer; the best kind to use depends on the sauce. If you'll post more information about the ingredients you will be more likely to get useful tips. Good luck. (06/01/2006)

By Alph

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

If you start using less salt and find it won't keep in the fridge, you could try storing it in the freezer in meal size portions, then just thaw what you need for the next few days. Also, buying reusable plastic storage containers makes freezing more cost effective than buying millions of freezer bags each year. (06/02/2006)

By Allison

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

If you want to remove some of the salt from your spaghetti sauce, put it on the stove and reheat it while adding a whole potato to it. Let this cook for awhile (I'd say at least 10-15 minutes.) Remove and discard the potato. Your sauce should be free of much of the salt. (06/02/2006)

By sewingmamma

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

I've also heard that lettuce leaves will absorb salt. It's worth a try. (06/02/2006)

By cookwie

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

Add a little sugar and taste, more if needed. (07/01/2006)

By Hamp2468