Shredded Wheat & Eggs

This was my favorite breakfast as a child. It still is, as a matter of fact. Whether you use 1 or 2 Shredded Wheat biscuits depends on your appetite.

• boiled water
  • 1 or 2 Shredded Wheat biscuits
  • 1 or 2 eggs
  • 2-4 pats of butter
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • crispy bacon, crumbled (optional)

Directions:

Place Shredded Wheat biscuits on a plate. Pour enough boiled water over the Shredded Wheat to soften it. Drain off as much water as you can. Put 2 pats of butter on each biscuit. Add salt and pepper. Fry your eggs over easy, or sunny side up. Place 1 egg on each biscuit. Add crispy bacon bits, if you like. Enjoy!

Note: This is best with runny eggs.

By Bertwils

Thats funny. You've reminded me of my grandfather who used to every morning take boiling water and soak his shredded wheat, drain the water off, then add sugar and milk. he would have this every single morning! I have tried it and its good, but I prefer the crunch!

My mother used to soak the shredded wheat in hot salted water, then squeeze gently and quick fry in butter and she always did poached eggs on top. I usually fry but keep the yoke runny. They are delicious - a family favorite.

I am reading this a year later as I googled egg on shredded wheat to find some history on this beloved childhood favorite. I never knew anyone who knew of this dish. In our family we make it differently; first we bake the shredded wheat with butter and salt, as the water for the eggs is coming to a boil. We then poach the eggs, spooning some of the water and egg froth onto the shredded wheat then add runny egg. This way the shredded wheat is sort of crunchy and chewy. Sublime, and missing it, as I live in greece now and can't find shredded wheat.

When I was a child, my dad made this for my sister, brother and I. He poured boiling water over the shredded wheat in a bowl, added the over easy eggs, butter, salt and pepper. Then you sort of stir it up to break the yolk. It is great comfort food and we loved it. Now I prepare it for my children. No one I've ever mentioned it to is familiar with it, but it is very like an egg over grits or fried eggs on toast.

My Great Grandma used to make it for me. She did it a little different. She boiled the eggs for 2 min. So that the yokes were still runny. But I, like the above says to do, Fry the eggs BUT add Coffee to the shredded wheat. It's a unique taste. I do it just like the recipe says above only instead of the boiling water use Coffee. No bacon bits.

Shredded Wheat & Eggs Recipes
Shredded Wheat & Eggs Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastJanuary 21, 2005
Shredded Paper
Making Shredded Paper for Crafts
Waste Bin Full of Shredded Paper
Recycling Shredded Paper
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Shredded cabbage
Uses for Bagged Shredded Cabbage
🎉
🎄