Halloween Couples Costume: Salt and Pepper Shaker

My husband and I went as salt and pepper shakers a few years back and won first prize. This costume is so easy to make and cost little. I know you can buy these but why would you when half the fun is creating it!

A couple as a salt and pepper shaker

Approximate Time: 2-3 hours

Materials:

Instructions:

1. You will need and old t-shirt or sweatshirt, one black and one white. Turn the shirts to the wrong side if they are not plain.
  2. Now, you are ready to add the "S" and "P". I did this by printing them out from my computer, just use the largest size font that will fit on your paper.
  3. Carefully cut out the letter so it can be used as a stencil. Use white craft paint on the black shirt for "P" and the opposite for the other shirt.
  4. Next you will need some pants to match the tops.
  5. For the hat we used round ice cream pails covered with foil and placed some white/black paper dots on the bottom (which becomes the top).
  6. If needed, stuff the pail with newspaper so it sits on your head comfortably. We each carried a baggie filled with confetti, black for pepper and white for salt, toss some out here and there.

Costume complete, have fun with this one we sure did.

By NoRulesArt from Sunny FL

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Excellent Idea! I have been thinking of something to do for my husband and I. This will be perfect. And because we are a biracial couple (he is black and I am white) this will be a nice way to show that our races can blend together nicely, just like salt and pepper! From our experience it seems as if people are more excepting of our unity when they think outside the box! What a wonderful way to help people do so with a little humor! Thank You for a wonderful and inexpensive idea!

Hilarious costume, and so easy! Thanks for sharing!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

A couple as a salt and pepper shaker
Halloween Costume Ideas for Couples
Crafts Halloween CostumesOctober 6, 2010
salt shaker
Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
Making a Barney and Betty Rubble Couples Costume
glass laying on table
Cleaning a Corroded Salt Shaker
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 22, 2016 at 8:05:14 PM on 10.0.2.107 in 666 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.