Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Repairing an Inflatable Castle Bouncer

I need to repair and clean an inflatable bouncer in Illinois. Where can I go?

By mom from Chicago, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By its_me781104/13/2010

Those little bounces don't last long, especially if the children are bigger or rough or there are too many in it at a time.
Is there enough left in the seam area to sew it with an awl and waxed twine? We did this on a commercial grade bounce, it eventually ripped out again, but it worked for quite a while. It was sewn several times over the years!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Repairing an Inflatable Castle Bouncer

My kids received an inflatable castle bouncer for Christmas. It was purchased at Walmart by my friend last September, so it is too late to return it. They love that thing, but one of the seams has begun splitting and that part has deflated. We tried using the transparent repair tape that came with it, but when my husband re inflated it, the seam just split even more. Now there is about a four inch hole along the seam.

It is vinyl material. Anyone know what might fix it? I thought that duct tape fixes anything, but he won't try it. He says because the split is on the seam, that it won't hold. I hate to junk it. Any suggestions are welcome!

Writermom from New Jersey

RE: Repairing Inflatable Castle Bouncer

I don't know what you could do to fix it yourself, but if you could find someone who repairs tents (I'm thinking that if you have a rental business nearby), they might use someone to repair the tents they set up for outdoor events and such. I'm sure they have had wind damage or split seams to their rental tents, and would repair rather than incur the cost of a new item. Good luck. (03/12/2008)

By mrsmutt

RE: Repairing an Inflatable Castle Bouncer

If you have the receipt you can return it to Walmart. They will handle it as you don't have a receipt BUT you get the full purchase amount back in the form of a store credit. You can then purchase another one or purchase something else. Or if you have NO receipt just try and return it, see what happens. (03/12/2008)

By Diana

Gorilla Glue has a new tape, Gorilla tape, that holds everything. I really like it, give it a try! It costs less than a new bouncer! (03/12/2008)

By kladybug

When water beds were so popular, they also came with vinyl repair kits. I think this would solve your problem. (03/12/2008)

By AuntyC

Contact the company themselves, sounds like a manufacturer defect. It should last longer than 3 months. (03/12/2008)

By Diamondee

Trust your instincts and use the duct tape, just let it sit on the seam for at least a day before inflating (03/12/2008)

By PICO

What about the vinyl repair kits that you can get at Auto supply stores? They are designed to repair rips and holes in vinyl upholstery. I think it's called something like "Nu-Vinyl." I'm not sure whether this would work or not, so be sure to read the instructions. But, it's worth a try to protect/fix something that your babies love. Plus, I agree, try contacting the manufacturer. Good luck! (03/12/2008)

By bailegirl

When my son was young we had an above ground swimming pool. Once, a liner had split along the seam and we repaired it with a patch and the glue used to mend swimming pool liners. I mended it carefully and put a lot on, but it was really strong (and flexible too). Best of all, it held even with the weight and pressure of the water--our pool was 4 ft deep.

Since those would take the pressure of having kids jump on them, the bond would have to be not only airtight, but extremely sturdy (Nix duct tape--it won't last, that's why they tell you not to use it on air ducts). Is it all vinyl? If so, have you tried a vacuum sealer? The newer (Food Saver) ones have a wide seal line. Maybe you could try to seal it in sections. Then go over it with pool glue for added strength. (03/13/2008)

By susanmajp

I would also recommend the vinyl repair kits that are available at auto supply stores. The feedback suggesting contacting the manufacturer is also a very good idea. (05/24/2008)

By Eedith51

Tear-aid tape repair tape is probably the next best thing to taking it to a commercial upholstery tech and having it sewn. (06/10/2008)

By Karl

I successfully repaired an 8 inch seam rip on a used jump castle we purchased with only 4 strips of gorilla tape, and I applied it while it was inflated. I put one strip on the inside of the jumper facing out along the rip, and another strip on the outside of the rip. I put the other two pieces beside the outer strip for strength, but I don't think I even needed them.

This setup is still holding strong after a weekend of 4 kids and a few adults jumping like crazy. I need a solution to repair the inner liner on the slide on my model though. It's cracked and falling off, so air is rushing through the material faster than it should. (07/13/2008)

By Ironic chef