Crocheted Blue Jeans Rug

This rug is made from about ten pairs of old, worn denim blue jeans in various shades of blue.

Approximate Time: 3 days

• denim blue jeans
  • scissors
  • sewing thread
  • sewing machine
  • large sized crochet hook-size P

Instructions:

1. Launder the old jeans, then cut seams out of each leg. Cut each leg into a continuous 2 inch strip.
  2. Sew each continuous strip together with the sewing machine and wind into balls of the same color.
  3. Separate light colors from darker colors, having different fabric balls to work with.
  4. To begin the rug, I crochet about 20 chain stitches, and turn, doing either a double or half-double crochet stitch, working and turning the rug each round until it is the desired size I want.
  5. Add each separate color of fabric as necessary. When adding a new color, make sure you machine stitch the strips together to join. Otherwise, the stitch will unravel.
  6. When the rug is finished, tuck the end piece into a stitch and sew in place.

This rug is best handwashed and does stand up to use. It doesn't do well in machine washing, so I soak it in the bathtub and drip dry. I used regular jeans for this rug, but the stretch denim jeans will work as well. Other colors of jeans can be used of your choice.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

Great idea and recycling project too.

Lovely effect with all the different shades of blue would look great in a bathroom that was using a seaside theme.

I thought it was store bought until I read what you wrote.

Good job,

Zig

I started making denim rugs because the charity I volunteer at gets donated clothing and a lot of the jeans saw better days and since i hate to see waste I decided to try making rugs. I don't make a continuous strip but rather join my strips by cutting a small slice into the end of both strips and key hole join them. I also decided i wanted color so I added colored coordinated fabric strips by crochet chain stitch in the pillar posts of my denim stitches. Same as adding a chain stitch to a crochet or knitted for decorative trim. You can use up some really ugly prints because you are after the color not the print. I look for discount fabrics because it is easy to use up 5 yards of the colored material. My current rug is about 5 feet across and weights about 25#. It will be 7 feet across when I am done. Each of my children and grandchildren will get one as they get married. Another way to wash these heavy monsters is to take it to the car wash and lay it over the side of your pickup and then I lay it out on a tarp to dry in the sun. Here is a picture of my rug in its infancy, about 24" wide.

Crocheted Blue Jeans Rug
Crocheted Blue Jeans Rug
Crafts Crochet IdeasJune 24, 2010
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Blue Jeans Quilt Ideas
Blue Jeans Quilt Ideas
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
🎄