What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

When collecting the hedge apples to use for cancer treatment, can you collect them from the tree or do you need to let them fall off first?

By Alharston from Scottsville, KY

Best Answer

Hedgeapples are not poisonous. However, Hedge apples have suffocated livestock by lodging in their esophagus. Very often a Hedge apple is incorrectly referred to as a Hedge Ball, Horse Apple, Green Brains, Monkey Balls or Mock Orange.

They are used in households to repel spiders. Each Hedge apple lasts about 2-3 months for this.

I do not know of any cancer use and in doing research did not come across any reference to that use.

Human consumption is not recommended and the contact with skin could bring various issues from itching, etc

seriously? hedgeapple? That is not what they are called...

Most people and stores I've been to refer to them Hedge Balls, they are related to the Osage-Orange. Maybe that's where you got confused...

I am 62 yrs old and have always heard them called hedge apples. I used to pick them all the time for my mom and two aunts to put around the house.

Seriously? I have only heard them called hedge apples! Ever think it is the area you live that the name is from?

Best Answer

We wait until they hit the ground. The thorns of the tree make it hard to actually pick them. They usually begin falling off in mid-September. We have two people we know of that have successfully used this for cancer treatment. The Amish suggested it first to a man with lymphoma. Another woman in Cartersville, GA has been told by her doctors that it is a miracle. The doctors, of course, can't condone the use of a natural treatment because they might be held responsible if it doesn't work.

There are several pages on the Internet about the use of hedge apples for treating cancer.

I would not rely on them as a Cancer treatment unless research has demonstrated that it truly is a cure or an adjunctive treatment that had some benefit and not just an old wives tale. Doctors generally won't condone anything that has not been proven to help which is done through clinical trials and not hearsay. If horse apples were found to be a bonafide treatment for Cancer I would think we would have all heard about it by now

I think this guy is talking about hedge apples not horse apples...

Best Answer

I became very interested in this topic because we had a patient that was eating the hedge apple because of what he heard from the Amish. He is now bleeding throughout his lungs and may not live. He did not tell anyone that he was using the hedge apple but it has messed up his clotting cascade and may not live. Feel it is very important for anyone to tell their doctor or family they are using it, in the event some problem arises. Please be careful.

Probably from the tree

Photo of a hedge apple.
What Are Hedge Apples Good For?
Home and Garden Gardening TreesAugust 10, 2010
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
Whole and sliced Hedge Apples (Maclura pomifera) also known as Osage Oranges against a white background
Using Hedge Apples to Repel Spiders
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples