Since the weather has changed, I find that when I pet the dog, we have a little static electricity problem. Any suggestions? He's an American pit bull terrier mix, 60 lbs.
Holly from Richardson, TX
Low humidity is the most likely the culprit, try boiling a pot of water and see what happens.
It's from the ions in the air, and will go away when you get another change. I'm sensitive to this too, and get little shocks from touching metal things, and my clothes do that static thing of clinging to me.
It will go.
Regards, Leah from Down Under
A thin coating of hand lotion before you give the pup the rubdown may help. Adds the moisture to your hands that is missing. I recall using that trick when my clothes have static cling or I keep shocking myself. Just not so much that you leave a residue on the pooch.
The air needs to be humidified. You can either get a humidifier that connects to your furnace, buy a portable humidifer, or place bowls of water in front of some of the heat registers.
Do NOT use lotions OR dryer sheets!!!
DO NOT USE LOTION AND PET YOUR DOG. He licks himself and could ingest it. It has nothing to do with your dog or his breed it is the lack of humidity in the air. get a humidifier or boil a some water on the stove(watch so water doesnt boil away!) add a cinnamon stick makes whole house smell good.
Gently wipe him with a dryer sheet. They are made to reduce static and he will smell good too.
Do NOT use lotions OR dryer sheets. Remember that anything you put on your animals will be ingested when they clean themselves.
I know what that feels like. I have a few ideas. The air does become drier in the fall and winter. I use a tabletop humidifier, also, I use an old dutch oven on the stove that I fill with water, and if the air is really dry, I add a little salt to it, and let it simmer. Adding cloves, orange or lemon peel, cinnamon is optional.
For the dog, I use a conditioning shampoo. Also, under my Vet's guidance, my dogs get Omega 3-6-9 capsules. When I took this supplement in to my Vet, he seemed to be very happy about it. My Vet said these softgels help their entire body, and that includes their dry coat. However, the dosage needs to be determined by the Vet, so over/under supplementation does not occur.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!