Removing Smells from Jars

This is an old 1940's trick passed down to me by my mum and her mum before her. To remove strong smells from jars, saucepans, etc., put in one or to teabags (no milk or sugar please!) then add an inch of hot water (to activate the bag and make the water deep brown) - not too hot if item is glass or it may crack.

In that case you could add half inch of cold water first. Gently stir and then top up with cold water. Leave for a couple of hours - or overnight if the pan does not have a pale colour inside that might stain. Rinse well and the smell will be gone. Works for pickle smells, garlic etc.

By Louise from Loughton, Essex, UK

You don't say? Sounds like it's worth a try. I like to save glass pickle jars to re-use and they usually still retain a distinct pickle smell even after running through the dishwasher. I will definitely give it a try and thanks for sharing!

1/2 Corn (Clear) Vinegar & 1/2 water; let set covered for 24 hours and it will eliminate any/all smell from glass or plastic jars, glasses, sport's bottles, etc...

This is a really neat idea, one I'll definitely use in the future! Sometimes you get a jar you want to keep and no matter what, that smell just stays with it. Now i know what to do! Thanks girl! I really appreciate your input with this one!

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 9, 2008
Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Uses for Baby Food Jars, Three Jars Full of Baby Food
Uses for Baby Food Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Decorated Jars
Decorating Jars for Gifts