Using Cornstarch to Thicken Gravy or Sauces

When making gravy or sauces, always remember to add cornstarch to cold liquid before adding it to the gravy or sauce. Memory Trick: cornstarch and cold both start with "C".

By Linda

Linda, that is true and important to know. I seldom use cornstarch as a thickener. I mostly use instant potato flakes. I've found that it usually works great and I think it's probably healthier than cornstarch or flour.

Thanks for the idea about using potatoe flakes to thicken up gravey and sauces i never would of thought about that I will have to try thanks again and as she said its healthier

Making Homemade Sauces
Making Homemade Sauces
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsDecember 9, 2004
Homemade Gravy
Thickening Homemade Gravy
Photo of brown gravy on a turkey sandwich.
Homemade Brown Gravy Recipes
Plate of food covered in gravy.
Gravy Making Tips and Tricks
Steak With Gravy
Steak and Gravy Recipes