Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Dried Paint from a Leather Sofa

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Dried Paint from a Leather Sofa

Accidents happen; painting a room can sometimes result in spatters and drips on unprotected furniture. This is a guide about removing dried paint from a leather sofa.

Solutions: Removing Dried Paint from a Leather Sofa

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Use Vaseline to Remove Paint from Leather

Iv just removed eggshell white paint from my leather sofa by rubbing in petroleum jelly (Vaseline). I left it for a few minutes, then gently rubbed with a wet nail brush and it started coming off! Happy me!

By debbietev [1]

Tip: Removing Dried Paint from a Leather Chair

I sprayed leather conditioner on the paint spots and let them soak a bit. Then I took a baby's tooth brush in a circular motion to the spots. They came right up. I finished by conditioning the remainder of the chair. Like new!

By R.B. from Chicago

Tip: Acrylic Remover for Dried Paint on Leather Sofa

To remove old dried up paint from my leather sofa, my husband suggested I try his Acrylic Remover and Brush Cleaner. I dabbed it on the old stains, and voila! The stains are gone and leather in perfect condition. (The olive oil didn't work very well for me.)

By Katie from Orlando, FL

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Dried Paint from a Leather Sofa.

Question: Removing Fabric Paint From a Leather Sofa

My grandkids spilled yellow fabric paint on a black leather sofa. Some I was able to get off right away before it dried, but the dried stuff is not giving it up easily. Any suggestions on how to gently remove this paint without damaging the leather? Thanks in advance!

By Celia

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]12/22/2011

I believe fabric paint is acrylic and I do not know of any way to get acrylic paint off of anything. See if there is a number on the paint bottle that you can phone. Perhaps they have some secrets that the rest of us do not know.

Question: Removing Dried Paint from Leather Sofa

How do I take oil base paint off a leather sofa?

By Steve from Findlay, OH

Most Recent Answer

By Janette [83]01/11/2011

I used hand sanitizer on my sofa to remove the paint spatter. I dabbed it on the paint and let it soak in a little. I then used the side if a spoon to scrape it off. After all the paint was gone I rubbed the areas with a little petroleum jelly. It worked great for me.

Question: Removing Paint on Leather Sofa

How do I remove paint over spray off a brown leather couch?

By Brenda from Phoenix, AZ

Most Recent Answer

By airwai [2]03/18/2014

I had this happen with some antique leather inlay end tables with 24k gold leaf. I acted fast and used a very mild warm water and tiny bit of Dawn dish soap (very lightly damp rag). (After taking pictures for insurance). And the tiny spray speckles, only one day old popped off or melted away into the rag.

It's important to say here that this would have been impossible if the 100+ year old leather inlay and the wood had not been regularly cared for! Leather requires a gentle massage of a high quality leather conditioner every six months. I recommend Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator, as a leather professional.

Further I recommend every five years. Atom Wax leather finish (which can go right onto the leather that has been conditioned and left to absorb then polished for residue. This protects your sewn seams and your gold leaf or other decoration for many many years of normal use. Your wood should be maintained with a regular semi annual hard bees wax French Polish over your lacquer finish. My 760 year old desk still looks like 'new' with a few hours elbow grease twice per year.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Dried Paint from Leather Sofa?

How do I take dried paint off my leather sofa? I don't want to discolor or damage it it is a dark navy blue color. I know that you have to be real careful on what you use on leather, like no oils because it absorbs it and can leave a oil spot. So if you could let me know what to use to take dried paint off my leather sofa that would be very helpful, thanks!!

RE: Removing Dried Paint from Leather Sofa?

If the paint is water based the possibility exists that a mild solution of warm water and dish soap might loosen it enough to remove the paint. Saddle soap is another option that might loosen it. Since leather is always dyed, using something strong enough to disolve the paint (like a dried paint remover) will probably also remove the dye (the navy blue). You may be able to remove the paint, then find a shoe polish or shoe dye to touch up where the paint was removed.

Unfortunately this may be a job for a professional if you want it back the way it was. I'd also contact the manufacturer and see what hints they might have.

By ThriftyFun

Hi. I used fingernail polish remover to take siver paint off my leather jacket. It works. =)

By Sindy

The solution in nail polish remover that removes paint is Acetone. This can be purcased in mostly at Hardware stores. Apply it lightly to paper or a light cloth, then blot. Paint will show on the cloth. Amazingly, it removed pen ink from velour car seats.

Just tried acetone to remove some old latex paint from a leather couch. It works! But it also removes some of the stain used to color the leather (as someone earlier mentioned). As long as you're careful and dab the dried latex with an acetone-soaked paper towel, you should be fine. IMO, the damage done to the leather color is far less offensive than the splotchy latex paint was.

By dgookin

I have to say THANK YOU to the people who posted the comments on this site!! After reading that finger nail polish would take the paint off my leather couch (which is green) I decided to try my nail polish which is natural. It is called "Almost Natural Polish Remover" IT WORKED!! The only dicoloration was where the paint was thicker. For that I dabbed A LITTLE Olive oil on a damp towel and DABBED the spots. I then wiped off the oil with a clean damp cloth and you can't even tell that there was paint or discoloration!!! THANKS SOOO MUCH!

By lidlchris

Someone said olive oil. Is that crazy? No. It works. I rubbed it on and the paint came off. Amazing!

By Judy

If it is a water based paint then as mentioned warm soapy water may remove it, you would probably be best off with a strong water based leather cleaner.

If it is a solvent based paint then any strong solvent like acetone will remove it. Of course this may well lead to damage on your leather.

By ben123

Olive Oil worked! Saved my expensive couch!

By happy leather owner

Thanks for the tip! I used olive oil and it completely removed the dried white paint from my grey leather!

By Jennifer

Thank you for your advice on removing paint from my leather love seat. It's been on there for about a year, so I thought it would never come off. I used a cotton swab with acetone polish remover, then rubbed olive oil into it. It lightened the paint quite a bit then I rubbed the spots briskly with a rag soaked in dish detergent and warm water. I'm thankful to say my navy blue love seat looks new with no color loss.

By Betty

I had oil based paint dried on my husband's leather SUV seats. I rubbed the olive oil into the spots then wiped with a rag with warm soapy water. Presto! It is all gone and the leather is fine.

By Kim

You guys rock. I tried the olive oil on my leather chair and ottoman and it worked great. My husband initially told me to try alcohol and stripped the paint so don't do that. Olive oil works great!

By catherine

Thanks so much, I sold my car, and told the new owner the paint would come off the leather easily, I spent a day trying to get it off before finding this site, now it's all gone. Olive Oil, a wonderful thing.

By sonia

Hi, I used nail varnish remover on my leather sofa and it worked. It took a little colour away but it was on the side so it isn't seen, and it was better than big blobs of white paint!! Thank you!

By Roy

I used warm soapy water (dish soap) and a sponge. I applied the soapy water to the paint (splatter) area then I lightly touched the hard (scrubbing) side of the sponge over the area. I did it VERY lightly. I did NOT scrub. This worked wonders, the paint splatter came off somewhat easily with absolutely no damage.

By Adam

Distilled vinegar it doesnt have a smell and cleans everything especially leather.

By adam

If you're trying to get latex paint out of leather, use vinegar and a LITTLE bit of baking soda. rub it over the stain and let it soak for a couple of minutes. I just used my finger nail to scrape it off. You might have to put a few coats on. But it will come off with some scraping!!

By Meg

The baking soda and vinegar removed nail polish from my very expensive sofa. It took a little time and patience, but it didn't take any of the color off! Thank you so much for the help (04/30/2007)

By joyfulgirl

Through a series of unfortunate events including kids artwork, a dog and an empty paper towel roll, I found a blue oil paint smear on my leather ottoman, days later. Distilled white vinegar worked! Thanks for your help.

By Jill

Archive: Removing Dried Paint from Leather Sofa

How to remove dried paint from a leather sofa?

Archive: Removing Paint on Leather Sofa

I accidentally got a small amount of paint on my gray leather couch. It is a very fine spray and the paint was acrylic latex.

How do you remove paint from a leather chair?

How do I remove paint from a leather sofa?

By Michelle