Teenage Girl Cries A Lot

Why does an 18 year old girl cry over everything?

By SEDDIK from Glendale, CA

Could be hormones. Could be depression. Take her to the doctor.

Could be other reasons as well. You don't mention your relation to her, but you can try talking to her about it.

Give this a try. Go to her and tell her you are really worried over her sadness. Put your arms around her and tell her that you realize that there will be times that she might not want to confide in you because she may think you might not understand. Tell her that you might not have gone through what she is experiencing but you love her so much that you will hug her and be with her through all the problems she is going to face. And just maybe together, if she will let you, just maybe the two of you can work something out.

Offer to take her to someone neutral, the doctor, pastor, another respected adult, anyone that she thinks will listen and tell her you will respect her privacy. And never, never, stop praying for her. God works when someone asks.

Could be so many things: anxiety about upcoming school/work/family decisions, sadness over a loss (friend, boyfriend, etc.), feelings of hopelessness (re economy, jobs, etc.), feelings of inadequacy, and so much more. The best thing to do is see a doctor to rule out any medical condition, then talk to a counselor. Good luck and God bless.

Teenage girls cry easily because of hormones. If her crying seems to be excessive, talk to her. Tell her lovingly that you love her and will be there for her no matter what. You are her advocate. If she mentions suicide, take her IMMEDIATELY to the nearest E.R. You may be in over your head and need the help of a professional.

My 19 year old daughter has been dealing with depression for over 2 years. She has had hospital stays and therapy and now is on medication to control her depression. She is happy, going to school and working. It is not an easy road to walk but you two will make it.

I cried over the stupidest things. It was hormones. When they finally evened out, so did I!

It could just be hormones, but if this a relatively new development, maybe not. Sometimes, when a person cries over a lot of little things, it's because there's a much bigger thing she's trying to deal with right now. She might feel like there's an issue out of her control, so crying over the little things is a safe form of release without having to acknowledge the true problem.

I cried a lot between the age of 16 and 21. I married at 18 and have a very easy going husband and was and still am very happy with my marriage. He truly is my best friend. But it about drove him crazy when he would see me crying as he always thought he had done something to cause it and would always want to know what was wrong. I never could tell him why I was doing it. But I still cry at the drop of a hat when I read anything sentimental or very sad, but at least no longer do any emotional crying.

I cried over everything when I was that age and am now 55 and still cry at the drop of a hat, sad tears, happy tears, even a commercial on tv. Everyone is their own person, that's just how we are.

I cried constantly when I was 18. I think it was about making decisions over future training for a career. My parents were encouraging me to take a route I felt was not right for me.

Parenting TeenAugust 6, 2009
13 year old gift ideas
Gift Ideas for a 13 Year Old Girl
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dutch Girl Costume
Flower Girl Smiling in Front of Bride and Groom
Frugal Flower Girl Tips
American Girl Doll With White Hat, Braids and Sweater
Saving Money on an American Girl Doll
🎉
🎄