Removing Cleaning Products from Cabinet Fronts

I was helping my aunt clean her kitchen cabinets. I have been a fan of Murphy's wood soap oil, but I think her cabinets were too dirty for this to work. It left the cabinets uneven and blotchy looking. Things got even worse when she sprayed Old English polish on them. What will take all of these products off plus the left over grime underneath? And I think my aunt wants them to shine afterwards. Considering they are 30+ years old, is it realistic anything will make them look shiny?

Amanda from Morganton, NC

I moved into a condo with cabinets which didn't look as though they had ever been scrubbed. I started with Murphy's... didn't work. I put straight vinegar in a spray bottle and used lots of elbow grease. I am not a young person so I have to pace myself. I did 2 doors a day till I got them all done. it was wonderful not having to grasp someone else's gunk when I opened the doors.

Amonia cuts the grease better than any product. You must be in a well ventilated area. The fumes are very strong. Do NOT mix with anything but warm water. Fumes from combining products can kill you!

My friend uses TSP. You buy it in the grocery store on the cleaning isle. It is a powder that you mix with water. It cuts grease, oil and gunk well too. More expensive but no harsh smell.

Here's another vote for vinegar! I also moved into a house where the cabinets, floors, tubs, and walls had not been cleaned in MANY years...or so it seemed. Vinegar does it but be sure to open the windows and get lots of air!

I bought an investment property that had all the original 100 year old wood work in it. I thought the wood was a dark cherry wood until I used a floor cleaner called Brite. The wood was actually a pretty light color. It worked really well and then I used old english to polish them back up. Also if there are knicks in the wood you can use shoe polish that is around the same color to fill in the color.

Vinegar and water is a great cleaner. Do not mix bleach with other chemicals! Also wear old clothes when you spray this stuff. Open the windows too.

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenDecember 14, 2007
Cabinet Door
Keeping Cabinet Doors From Slamming Shut
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
closeup of old machine in cabinet
Removing a Sewing Machine from Its Cabinet
🎄