Using a Wen 909 Allsaw

My husband recently came home with a Wen Allsaw 909. It looks really well made and it's in great shape, but I don't know how to use it or what blades to use in it or what exactly it does. Obviously, the name indicates it can saw it all, but I need some expert (or not so expert) opinions and advice before I start using this thing. "Grandma, tell us about the days when you had all your fingers." Anyway, does anyone know if they even make blades for this thing or if there would be a way to buy a manual?

By Sheila from NE

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Suntydt [75] 06/18/2011

You can try http://www.retrevo.com/ or http://www.manualsonline.com/ for a manual. Try a local hardware store or a big chain like Lowes or Home Depot for the blades. If you find an older gentleman working the tool area he may even be experienced with using the tool and can tell you things about it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Chuck [22] 06/20/2011

How old are you? Have you ever used a power tool before? If not I'd not begin now. Your dream of missing fingers will definitely come true if you have no experience nor talent. Advice from a 50-year construction vet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By gbk [45] 06/20/2011

It is a Jig Saw. Does it have a knob that turns. If so it is also a scroll saw. The best saw to start with. Take it to home depot or your local hardware store and carry on an honest conversation with the man about you don't know anything about it and can you get blades (yes) he is the man to carry them or tell you where. I started my woodworking career out on a jig saw after a stroke and I couldn't remember how to thread my machine.

Get a l/4 inch wood cutting blade and a piece of board Pine is fine and draw a simple picture on it. Wear safety glasses drill a hole big enough to put the blade in without binding push the saw blade gently (you'll get the picture as you push, if it binds slow up if it doesn't go much push harder.) Don't try to make any right angle turns just small curves. The maker will sell or let you download a book on it and go for it and have fun. You have the guts to put the men to shame, use it. if you need more help feel free to contact me you can start with thrifty fun and I will send you my email.

I now belong to Handyman Club of America and just got a new product to test for skill. A two and 1/4 horse router with a double base. I have never had a new router but I own 2 old ones and truly love what I can do with wood.

I still have my first jig saw and I bought it at Wal-mart 32 years ago and it still works. It also scrolls.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By gbk [45] 06/20/2011

By the way I still have all my fingers and on your saw not as likely you will whack them anyway. just remember you have to start at the edge of the wood or drill a hole to cut out your pattern.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By sheila [10] 06/21/2011

Thank you for the feedback. This is the place to go for answers. I am not an inexperienced diy'er....just one that reads the manuals with a yellow highlighter. I am married to someone that just crumples up the instructions because he'd rather "look at it and figure it out". This philosophy always gives us several items rolling around in the box that the considerate people in Laos, China or Mexico pack in the product "for free in case we need extras". Sigh. Anyway, I do most of the stuff around the house. I love the looks and weight of this saw, now I have a game plan to use it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No