Painting Unfinished Pine

I have a shelf/coat hanger made out of unfinished pine. I would like to paint it distressed black. Does anyone have a good, easy way of doing this?

Jesse from Monroe, WA

Do you want some of the grain of the wood to show? If so, thin your paint with water (about 1/2 paint, 1/2 water and apply. You can distress the wood by hitting it with sharp objects ie, hammer, pick, chains. Etc. If you do not wish to have the grain show, then I think you would just paint it after distressing it. If you thin your paint and your wood is very yellow underneath, it might end up looking green, so I would try it on the back somewhere first.

Paint it black and then sand it with sand paper. Or if you would like another color to show through, paint the undercoat one color and then black, then sand, it will bring out the undercoat.

I would prime first and, yes, if you want the grain to show sand it a little first.

Painting Furniture
Painting Furniture
Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingMay 12, 2008
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
🎉
🎄