Keeping Toothbrushes Clean

After you have a cold or flu, wash your toothbrush with Listerine. I wash mine all the time in Listerine and even brush my teeth with the fluoride rinse and also the mouthwash. It keeps brushes fresh.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

I soak the toothbrushes in hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes. Just find a small container, like the cap on hair mousse for example. I don't care for the strong taste of mouthwash.

This might sounds strange to many of our readers, but I put our toothbrushes in the dishwasher utensil holder when I do the dishes. The hot water will definitely kill the germs.

We spray ours with vinegar.

If I have been sick I throw away my toothbrush afterwards. Also our toothbrushes are kept in travel toothbrush cases at all times, this way when we flush no germs get on them. We also dip them into hydrogen peroxide before we use them.

I used to keep my toothbrush in a container that covered just the brush part but someone told me that was not healthy because if it is damp when you put it away germs can grow on it. So what do I do I don't have time to wait until I am sure it is dry. I have started putting it in the drawer but not closing the drawer all the way so air can still get to it.

May 15, 2009 Flag

I soak my toothbrushes in a small cup of Listerine every so often. I soak the bristles just enough so that they are moistened. Toothbrush bristles are a breeding ground for germs so this is a great way to keep them at bay!

By CLEAN FREAK

Answers:

Keeping Toothbrushes Clean

I just put them in the dishwasher :) (06/09/2005)

By Julka

Keeping Toothbrushes Clean

I saw a program that said, because there is about 12 hours between each brushing, the brush dries out and contains hardly any bacteria anyway because they cannot survive long without moisture. I think we worry too much about germs. If the immune system has nothing to work on because the environment is too sterile it can turn on the body itself and cause asthma and other afflictions. Read this link, it's really interesting.

(06/10/2005)

By Cammyhen

Keeping Toothbrushes Clean

NO! Do NOT soak toothbrushes. Use it, rinse it in peroxide after each use then place brush end up and dry in room OTHER than bathroom as bathroom is moist and will breed germs. Change brushes every 3 months or after cold, flu, etc.
Xtoothfairy (06/12/2005)

By meoowmom

Keeping Toothbrushes Clean

I use Hydrogen Peroxide once a week to clean toothbrushes. It kills all the germs. (06/18/2005)

By stevie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 15, 2009 Flag

To keep your toothbrushes clean, put them in the dishwasher once a month. It will rid them of bacteria and keep them nice for the three to six months you should use them. I got this tip from my dentist.

Amy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Sanitizing Your Toothbrush, Glass container of toothbrushes.
Sanitizing Your Toothbrush
Health & Beauty AdviceMay 15, 2009
Toothbrush
Replacing Toothbrushes After Illness
cleaning with a toothbrush
Uses for Old Toothbrushes
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
Using a Toothbrush for Cleaning
Using a Toothbrush for Cleaning
🎉
🎄