Washing Magnalite Cookware

I have an oval Magnalite pot. We used it to drain some water from our sink and there was some kind of chemical that leaked into the pot. It was Drano or something of that nature. Can the pot be cleaned in some way to reuse it, or should I dispose of it?

By Tonia

I use to have magnalite pots & pans. They are hard, anodized aluminum.If you cook something with tomato stuff in it, (acidic), it should change the pan back to normal. You could also try scrubbing with some vinegar & see what it does, or try soaking with some vinegar & water. I'd keep checking to see how it was going. When ever aluminum gets dark spots, is usually from alkaline stuff coming in contact with the metal. Drano & the like is very alkaline. If it's strong enough & left long enough, it could damage the surface, but I'd try the acidic stuff for a bit. They are nice pans. Now with stainless, acidic stuff makes the surface darken.

Here are a few things I found just digging around search engine. Hope this helps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4488340_cle ... medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

I've had my magnalite pots 14 years now and they still look brand new. I use Cameo Stainless steel cleaner. It's about 97 cents at Walmart. It makes your sink shine awesome too.

Shirley golden7673 AT yahoo.com

August 12, 2009 Flag

I wash my Magnalite cookware in the dishwasher, using dishwasher powder. This leaves some sort of residue on my pots. When I dry them (I never use the heat dry cycle), the residue leaves a black-silverish stain on the dish towel and you can almost feel the residue when you rub your hand on the outside of the pot. I have to scrub them with Chore Boy after taking them from the dishwasher to get the residue off. The water from the washing is dark silver or black. Am I not supposed to wash my Magnalite in the dishwasher?

Carolyn from Shreveport, LA

Washing Magnalite Cookware

Magnalite is made of aluminum, which does not do well in the dishwasher, because of the chemicals in the dishwasher soap. You should wash it by hand with Dawn or other regular dish detergent, and if needed, use a scrubber for anything that sticks.

Good luck. (10/16/2007)

By sheilamay

using magnalite cookware

Yesterday I made a key lime pie using my Wagner Magnalite pot and the acid in the lime juice caused dark "stuff" to come off the pan. I had to throw the pie out as it also tasted odd. I would suggest not cooking anything acidic (citrus, tomatoes) in Magnalite.

By Linda

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 12, 2009
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks