My son is looking at a house to rent with a few buddies. He took me over to see it today its very nice, very old. I could smell dampness from the basement when we walked in there is a lot of mold coming through the walls in the basement. This scares me as I also told my son. How do I know if this is a bad type of mold? Help. I'm scared for my son.
By TJack66 from Brighton, MI
It's very difficult to say what type of mold it is. If I were in your situation I'd discourage your son and his friends from renting an older home. Steer him in the right direction of looking for an apartment that is free of mold.
Toxic mold will cause permanent damage to the lungs later down the road of life. He and several of his friends could end up with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) asthma, bronchitis, emphysema or even lung cancer.
I think you need to contact the city/inspection division for rental housing, they need to know about this if it is that bad. It is up to the rental owner to fix the problem. It should be livable, and mold in my opinion is not! The owner would need to fix the damp issue and have the mold taken off. If your son and friends don't rent it, he'll get someone to.
I agree with the previous response. What damage this could do to your son might not show up until later in life! Perhaps a health department could do an inspection? Perhaps the owner would clean up the mold before hand? Bottom line though, I would advise my son to look elsewhere. Best of luck to you both.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!