Shop for Craft Supplies at Thrift Stores

This is a thrifty sewing tip and a word of caution. The second hand store is a good place to pick up sewing supplies. I bought a one gallon bag full of miscellaneous supplies: needles of all sizes, lots of thread, pins, two pin cushions, tracing paper and tracing wheel, pattern marking pencils, zippers, snaps, scissors, buttons, four crochet hooks and much, much more. I got at least $30.00 worth of usable supplies in a bag I paid $2.00 for.

The second hand store is a great source of supplies, but I think I should include a warning. When you get a used pin cushion, BE CAREFUL! I removed several pins from one, but still felt a prick when I picked it up. I couldn't see anything, so I put the pin cushion in a bowl and cut it open. Then I dumped the sawdust out into the bowl and moved my magnet over it. SERIOUSLY, I got 28 needles out of that one pincushion. The second pin cushion yielded another 14 needles. So, use your second hand store to get supplies, but be careful of old pin cushions. You don't want to be stabbed by a rusty old needle.

By DiJones from Wilsonville, OR

I agree, watch out for pin cushions. But I've been ambushed by needles hiding inside my OWN pincushions! On occasion I've reached over and grabbed my "tomato" a little too firmly and POKE - I get stuck with a stealth needle!

I always leave thread in the needles when I put them into pincushions, but I guess over time the thread gets wiggled away and the needles take the opportunity to burrow down inside and wait for an unsuspecting squeeze!

I guess the moral of the story is to get a tetanus shot every 5 years or so because you never know what sharp objects are lurking out there... :)

Craft Supplies
Saving Money on Craft Supplies
Crafts SewingMay 11, 2010
Shoes at a Thrift Stores
Buying Shoes at Thrift Stores
Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Thrift Store
Southern California Thrift Stores