Extra Service Charges on My Verizon Bill

I have Verizon phone service. My last 2 bills have had service charges on them. When I called the companies to stop the charges etc. they said I signed up for them and they knew my mother's maiden name so that means I signed up. What in the world is going on? I have NOT signed up for anything. I do take surveys from websites I have been with for along time. I don't buy anything as I work 2 jobs and still don't have enough money to pay all my bills. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sandy from Halethorpe, MD

Gday there.

I know I'm a long way from you but in these days of the internet, distance can be minute. I had the same problem and firstly rang the company who told me similar to you then I rang my service provider. I happened on a very helpful lady who told me that she had heard that it was a scam and I should contact my ombudsman and even gave me the ombudsman's phone number. It took a few calls but I now have been promised that the charges ($6.60aud each time and there were a few of them) would be reimbursed. I mentioned all this to my sister who then got out her bill and found that she had also been scammed but from a different company. She then went through the same procedure that I did and came out satisfied.

You should call the phone co. and have what you signed up for removed. You could also lodge a complaint against the phone co. through the state and feds.

One time when I had to call the phone co.I had to verify my mom's maiden name before they would talk with me.

Another time when I lived in another state I called the phone co to install phone srevice. The person in the business office told me of all the things I was entitled to. That is until I recieved my phone bill. I knew where the business office was so I when over to cancell my entitlements. Hanging from the ceiling was all these banners. I asked about them and was told they were motivation banners for trips. The people who sold phone services and met their quotas were given travel trips.

I've had 3rd party billing charges come up on my bill. You can call Verizon and ask them to put a 3rd party block on your bill. I then had to contact the 3rd party company (800 number was on the bill) to have the charges removed. Turns out it was for a voicemail service that someone had signed up for online and given my telephone number as the billing number. They didn't give me a hard time at all, it seems this kind of stuff is happening alot.

I called the phone company about a completely different matter, and while going over my bill with her, I discovered a monthly charge of $9.99, going back for 15 months! Good grief! When I contacted the company that was charging me, they told me that someone in my house ( using my computer) had signed up for the service. (My own personal 800 number.)

The web-site mentioned was familiar to me, I remember going to it, it was FrugalLiving, or something along those lines. I went back to that web-site while I was on the phone with the representative, and read aloud to him what the web-site had on it flashing across the screen, "Sign up! It's fast, and it's free"! I told him that that was misleading, and fraud, and to remove that from my phone bill immediately, and he told me he would. I told him to go back for 15 months and remove all of the other charges, and he said that he could only go back for 3 months, and I got mad and told him that I would not accept that, went through the whole misconception and fraud thing again, how upset I was, etc. He said that he would speak to his manager and came back a minute or so later, and said that he was authorized to remove 6 months worth of charges, and I was thinking that that was better than nothing, and then I said to myself, "No, I was defrauded, and I am not going to accept this!"

I kept on haggling the man, until he agreed to remove all charges from my bill. Note to self: stand your ground, do not accept what has been done to you, and above all, check your bills monthly; not just your telephone bill, but ALL of them!

Don't forget to notify your Attorney General of this matter. Your Public Service Commission is worthless; so don't bother to notify them. They will 'just make a report'.

I just remembered an incident; several years ago, I reviewed my telephone bill and noticed a long-distance charge for about $30 (about 40minute) to a party in a State where I didn't have any contact. I contacted the telephone co and they said that it must have been someone else in my household who made the call.. I told them I was single and living alone; their reply was maybe someone came into my home and made the telephone call... After I questioned her mentality "in an uncontrollable, politically incorrect manner", I spoke to her Supervisor and got the charge removed...

If you are doing surveys on the internet, that is probably where the charges came from. You need to read the 'fine' print at the bottom of each offer. They may say something about a charge of $xx will be applied to the phone number used in this offer. Are you using your real phone number? I do surveys too, but (one) I do not do any offers that say anything about charging to my phone or anything else and (two) I usually use a fake phone number in the offers. I am very selective when I use real number. How you get those charges dropped I don't know, sorry, but good luck in the future.

I've had the same problem with my Verizon phone. They told me to call the company and they took it off and gave a refund to Verizon for the full amount. Guess what? It's back on my bill but Verizon gives their phone number and says I don't have to pay it. They will not disconnect the phone. I think I'll call the State of Florida's Attorney General's office.

I agree that the only way to get these "scammy" charges removed is to contact Customer Service at your phone provider. Mine is ATT and I think they are especially bad. I've had two different -- but similar -- experiences with them.

Now awaiting my new bill wondering what they'll want to charge me this month.

They rely on us to automatically pay whatever they ask without question. We have to be alert.

Do you have an option to change the service in your area? Usually, when you use the word "cancel/cancelling I'm amazed what they are all of a sudden allowed to do! Also, I would tell them I want the proof in writing - that you signed up for "it"

Also, I wouldn't pay it - but don't know all the particulars in your case. These phone companies are something else!

Also, because I am having a huge problem with my cell phone provider - I have gone online and found out there are many "cases" going on and in the past with the various phone companies landline/and cell that you may be able to refer to - the customer has won a lot of the time.

I finally got so fed up with cell phone providers, after trying several of them, that I now have a "pay as you go" phone with no contract through Virgin Mobile. So far, no problems, I just add $20 worth of minutes whenever I run low.

Sandy here. Problem taken care of. Verizon has put a bill block on my phone bill.

I also had Verizon and canceled their services on March 16th. Talked to nice female who credited my account and gave me the verification number. Here it is, August 7th and still haven't gotten my check for the amount credited. Called again today and was told I'd get it in 2 to 4 months! Told the male that I was contacting the TV stations about this and have them exposed. If I hadn't paid a bill when it was due, they'd disconnect my services; but when I canceled them, I have to wait! Will contact Attorney General as suggested in message above. People should know about their 'shady' service.

Just had the same thing happen. 3 charges totally over $30. The give the impression that they are 3 different companies offering toll free numbers, 24 hr mp3 access, and secure email...all for monthly fees. I didn't ask for any of it. Apparently they were activated using a junk email account I have and my phone number. But the birthday and mothers maiden name given were bogus.

I asked for a block on my number. They did also claim it would take 2 billing cycles for me to see the credits.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 5, 2008
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Hand Cart With Box That Reads Free Shipping
Saving Money on Shipping Charges
Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
🎄
🍂