Determining the Value of an Antique Steamer Trunk

I have an old antique steamer wardrobe trunk. It is canvas covered and in pretty good condition. I want to know how much I should sell it for.

By Robin from Fresno, CA

(I found this) 'Restored' trunk! With that being said, we buy a trunk, put 20 - 30 hours of work, buy parts and materials as needed, and supplies to finish the trunk, and then sell it. Our average price for a trunk currently ranges from $350 to $600 including shipping. Shipping usually costs us an minimum of $100.00 including the box and packing materials. Now you can see that we buy trunks in the $20 - $100 range depending on what the trunks is.

If you are selling an antique trunk, it is like they say, 'condition is everything'. We have a Trunk Valuation page that will help give you some guidelines in trying to value your trunk. I also recommend to look in antique stores, websites, and yes, even ebay for some price ideas, but remember to evenly compare what you have to what you are looking at.

Also, remember that what they actually sell for is what you need to know, not what they are asking for it, as they can ask whatever they want, but that does not mean it is worth that much. Most of all, be realistic. We do not do official appraisals, but we do recommend Brettuns or The Trunk Shop who will do this for a fee.for more info search for"Value of an Antique Steamer Trunk "good luck.

I seldom get more than $25 for a steamer trunk at one of my auctions.

Hi Robin,

We've sold a few nice vintage steamer trunks,and unless you know exactly how the person buying it is going to want it refinished, the best way to sell it is pretty much "as is". Depending on condition and age, they can go from $20 to $100 in "as is" condition. If you are going to advertise it somewhere like eBay or ETSY, you'll need to consider the cost of shipping. That can be a lot more than the trunk's initial cost.

You might try listing it with Craigs List and sell it locally. You may as well sell it locally where the buyer can pick it up

without spending so much at the shipping company. That way, you can even ask more for it.

Most people want an old trunk "dressed up" to fit their own decor, so they'll want to do the work themselves. Unless you'd like to keep the trunk for awhile and enjoy the work that fixing it will require, just sell it "as is".

Hope this helps. Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I bought mine fore $50 dollars at an estate auction, on one hand full of neat old vintage clothes, on the other hand, absolutely reeking with mildew and had to be cleaned. I think it depends on the market. Garage sale: probably $20. Auction: $50 or maybe more if it's in really top notch shape. Antique store: assuming it's in good condition, probably $100-$140, depending on where you are in the country and how much traffic the antique store gets. It seems like you can charge a little more on the coasts (USA). Ebay: there's alot of competition and you have to consider postage, so I'd say start start at $40 and hope it might go as far as $80 for a standard trunk. I looked and there are some on there going for $400 for buy-it-now, but they're exceptional pieces, and who knows if they'll really sell for that. Craigslist is sort of hit or miss because you have to assume that someone in your area is willing to come and get it. You might be able to go $50 with Craiglist. Good luck.

Antique Steamer Trunk
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesDecember 12, 2009
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Antique Chair
Repairing Antique Upholstered Furniture
Old Steamer Trunk
Cleaning and Restoring an Old Trunk
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry