Making a Screen Door

This isn't really home Improvement, but store improvement. I work at a thrift store where 100% of our proceeds go to the shelter and we have shelter animals right at the store who are up for adoption (11 cats running around, never a dull moment).

Now we would like to keep our donation door open to let in the spring air, but yet we don't want our cats running out of the store. I saw some door products such as this one. stacksandstacks.com. However our door is too wide. Our door measurements are 3 feet 9 inches wide and 7 feet and 1 inches tall, and we have a metal frame.

Any ideas on making a screen door "with a latch" so the cats can't just push it way out. Any input would be great.

By Bill from Holland, MI

Answers

Making a simple wooden frame to fit inside your metal frame wouldn't be that hard, surely you have someone who could help with the project. With one that large make sure to put good cross bracing on it. Also with the cats running around I would suggest using hail screen at the bottom to keep them from scratching holes in it. I wish you all the luck in the world in your wonderful work, if I were closer I would sure help you out.

March 17, 2010 Flag

How do I make a screen door cheaply?

Richard from Snowflake, AZ

Answers:

Making a Screen Door

For a home? Standard screen doors aren't too expensive, I understand. However, if for another area, remember that you can use patio door screens and drill hinge holes and reinforce the screen with punched aluminum sheeting or wire fencing over the existing screening if not too large. Shade cloth makes a better screen door for sunny exposures if

you have a spline roller? to tighten it in it's track.

I find folks tossing curbside old useable, but lightweight screen/storm doors as they improve their properties cosmetically. The frame can be spray painted a medium dark bronze or white to freshen it up.

If for a balcony patio door, remember you can weight patio shade cloth/screening, hem the edges by hand and have a draped screen door by adding magnets to the edges so it will catch on the frame of the patio door.

These used patio screens can also be used for drop-down screen doors on a garage door for summer
ventilation.

God bless you.
(03/28/2007)

By Lynda

Making a Screen Door

Do you just want some ventilation and not much cost? If so, you can just buy a tension rod (two if you want one for the top and bottom) and hang a drapery panel (sheer or lace). You'll get ventilation, and if you move, can take it with you and use it someplace else later. These little curtain tension rods are really cheap and you could probably find cheap panels at a thrift store or yard sale. (03/29/2007)

By susanmajp

Making a Screen Door

Here in the Dayton, Ohio area you can buy them at Lowe's for 19.95. I don't think you could make one any cheaper than that and it's a lot easier. (03/29/2007)

By M. Donna

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Screen Door
Making a Screen Door
Home and Garden Home Improvement DoorsMarch 17, 2010
Cat scratching at a screen door.
Keeping Cats from Scratching Screen Doors
Screen Door
Repairing a Screen Door
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
🎉
🎄