Open Face Cheese and Asparagus Omelet

I've made this omelet since I was in my early 20's as a quick and tasty breakfast on 'feeling lazy' mornings. Back then I wasn't as much into gourmet as I was just in to having easy items already on hand ;-) This makes a really large open faced omelet, so you might want to consider sharing if you have a small appetite and/or if having hash browns and bacon or sausage links on the side. Oh, and it's not always easy to slide this puppy out of the skillet on to a plate just right, but no matter how it looks it still tastes yummy!

• 6 large eggs
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 to 3 cups cheddar cheese, finely shredded, plus a bit more for garnish if desired
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can asparagus (I prefer tips but spears work just fine)

Place asparagus, not drained, into a small saucepan and heat over medium low, gently stir occasionally, turn down to low once completely warmed. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a bowl.

Heat enough butter to coat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture, swirling pan as needed to keep eggs evenly flowing, and cook until eggs are 'almost' cooked through, sprinkle evenly with cheese, allow cheese to 'almost' melt and remove from heat.

Drain asparagus well in a colander and evenly top over the egg and cheese. Sprinkle with a bit more cheese if desired and serve.

By Deeli

Photo of an omelet.
Omelet Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastJanuary 27, 2011
Asparagus in a Bamboo Steamer
Selecting Good Asparagus
asparagus on wood cutting board
Canning Asparagus
asparagus on wood cutting board
Freezing Asparagus
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese