Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Ticks are early around here this year for some unknown reason. And they are really bad! We have cut the walking distance for our 2 dogs down considerably and they still get them. My 9 year old Golden has had a season's worth already. He doesn't do well with the topicals, and I'm getting scared of all the stuff out there. Anyone have any suggestions?

By Stormwatcher from PA

Best Answer

Your dog has bad problems with topical, what problems? It sounds like you need get to a vet and find out else what you can do if the dog has physical problems with topicals.

If it's the expense of the medication; you need to check out the sales and save because it's your responsibility to care for the dog properly.

You can also check the dog religiously after your walks, keep your grass short, etc. It takes effort, but you can really keep ticks to a rare occurrence if you simply watch where you walk your dog and check them thoroughly afterwards.

Best Answer

I have been reading about rose geranium essential oil and it repels and kills ticks at least that is what they say. I have just started using it and so far so good but time will tell. I had been pulling about 20 a day off of Lucy and there are none this morning. it smells good too. You are just suppose to put 2-3 drops on their back once a week. Never use essential oils on cats.

What do you mean he "doesn't do well"...do you mean he doesn't like to sit still for it or what? I know for a FACT that Advantix works great. I used to sell a ton of it to repeat customers who would swear by it. Give it a try.

hands spreading dogs fur so a tick can be seen
Protecting Your Dog from Ticks
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 6, 2009
Grapes growing under a net to protect them from the birds.
Protecting Grapes from Birds
Tick Removal
Removing a Tick
A beautiful horse.
Preventing Ticks on Horses
Tick on Skin
Getting Rid of Ticks
🎄