Tomato Not Ripening

My tomato is still green, is this normal or there is something wrong with mine?

By hananay from Osage, IA

There is a variety of tomatoes that are green and ripe. I don't recall the name of them, but I once harvested it. You can pick your green tomatoes and they'll ripen on their own before rotting. We've had a lot of rain this season in our neck of the woods and ours are just starting to turn red.

I live in NW Louisiana, and still have a lot of green ones! They are just starting to turn pink, so I guess I will be glad that they didn't all mature at once, and then fizzle out. My husband loves fried green tomatoes, so he has been happy!

Wait and be patient, they will ripen in time, they will also ripen if they are picked and brought inside ,good luck.

What a coincidence, I just watched a local news program on this very subject. People have been complaining about how their tomatoes aren't ripening. They interviewed a farmer who said the delay is due to the cool weather we've been having. A heat wave is on it's way, and he said tomatoes only need a few hot days to ripen quickly.

On another note, tomatoes will indeed ripen off the vine, that is if they haven't been exposed to temperatures below 50 degrees F. My understanding is cold temperatures destroy the hormone called ethylene, which is what causes the tomato to ripen. Once that's destroyed it's impossible for the tomato to ripen.

Leave on vine as long as plant is still alive and as it dies, start to pick tomatoes, and get a cardboard box and lots of newspaper. Crumple a layer of newspaper balls and put in bottom of box and put greenest tomatoes there, not touching. Keep putting crumpled newpaper in and around tomatoes as you stack, making sure to relieve any pressure on ones below. Keep them from touching , packing greenest to ripest as you fill box. It may take a couple of boxes if you have a lot, and don't use the glossy type newspaper. I kept mine on floor of dining room where a little warmth came through, but tomatoes were still covered. . They did ripen. I don't know if it would make a difference if the top layer weren't covered.

I am sure someone else here does.

I picked all of my green tomatoes this evening because their was severe thunderstorm warnings with possible large hail forecast. They had also been green for more than a month. I think it is because we have had really cool weather this summer.

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingAugust 7, 2009
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Grapes, bananas, apples, kiwis, and oranges.
Ripening Fresh Fruit
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms
🎄