Keeping Light Bulbs From Vibrating Loose

Our outdoor light fixture bulbs become loose with vibrations from opening and closing the door. Is it safe to put something around the bulb's threads so the bulbs will not become loose?

By carla from Greensboro, NC

Do NOT wrap anything around the threads of the bulb. It could act as an insulator and the bulb will not light but a worse problem is you could start a fire.

I don't know why you couldn't put a small, thin strip of aluminum foil around the base(don't let the foil extend above the socket-base). The base is aluminum. Another method would be to securely anchor the bulb and socket-base with a piece of electrical tape[although the tape may melt due to the heat of the bulb]. Maybe you could try closing the door with less force, or is this door used primarily in 'domestic disputes'?

Foxrun is right. Do not put anything around the bulb! Not even aluminum foil. A dead short could start a fire. How old is the fixture? That may be part of the problem. If it is worn through the years the bulb could be loose.

By all means, don't alter the light. If you flip the breaker, you can go into the fixture and perhaps tighten the screws that hold all the "pieces parts" together, and see if that helps. Then, go to the local Walmart or any store that sells florescents, if you have not already done this, and replace them. They are made better, cost less, and last longer.

Also, never put a wattage of larger than 60 in an enclosed light fixture, even if it is not inside the house. A 60 w. bulb produces the same amount of heat as a human, and glass enclosures can over heat and burst or burn you.

And yes, the door slamming can help if that is reduced, too.

Check at your local hardware or home store for a light bulb made to withstand this kind of vibration. I can't recall the exact name but I used to get them for the outdoor light at my apartment. They are made from a bit heavier glass (or coated) to help them withstand bumps and they don't seem to vibrate loose in the socket. They were a little bit more expensive but I didn't have to change them nearly as often, nor did I constantly need to tighten them in the socket.

I thank everyone for their feedback. I did not mention that these bulbs are solar ones that must be positioned a certain way and a certain looseness for them to work. They easily become too loose so they do not work.

Consumer Advice General AdviceSeptember 1, 2009
scatter of Christmas light bulbs
Uses for Christmas Light Bulbs
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
🎄