DogsPets

Leather Furniture and Dogs

Category Dogs

Can anyone advise me as to whether it is a good idea to buy a leather suite for a house with a pet dog? I am worried about marks on the leather, however much you watch a dog there are always going to be times when it could 'paw' the leather, any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Many Thanks,
Joyce from Lancashire

I don't know how large your dog is, if it is a very small dog, you will have very small scratches. If it is a large dog, like mine (a Doberman) you will have large scratches, to actual slits. Since my dogs are more important to me than furniture, i always get furniture friendly to animals. You can also buy furniture that can be easily slipcovered, and that would probably be the way to go. Besides that leather is "sticky" in the summer, and cold in the winter, not a "friendly" thing, Something soft and cozy and animal friendly would be a lot better.

I have all leather furniture and a small dog (15 lbs). I have never had a problem. My dog will even scratches at the furniture on occasion. I was concerned when we bought it and leary when the sales people said it won't be a problem but 8 years later iit is still perfect. We even bought more last year.

Why do you have to have leather furniture?

I have leather furniture, and a 5lb Chihuahua. She has made small scratches, not intentionally. Since the leather is slippery, she slides accross when she jumps into it, hence, small scratches. I'd advise against leather, no matter how small the dog.

Most scuffs can be buffed out with a good leather treatment like NO BULL. I think you are ok as long as the dogs don't see the leather furniture as food.. > http://www.mobi … .com/NOBULL.html

Joyce, I am also looking for leather furniture because my lab sheds a ton & all the hair gets embedded on our current fabric couches. They also store dirt and smells along with he dog hair and all the vacuuming in the world doesn't make a dent. It embarrasses me when company comes over. So, I also have the same question you have regarding leather. I'm in search of durable and comforable leather that my 110 lbs lab won't ruin. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would advise against spending the money. Dogs (pets in general) and leather don't go together!