Freezing Blueberries

How do you freeze fresh blueberries and for how long will they keep?

By Fred from N. Ft.Myers, FL

Best Answer

Wash them gently and put onto paper toweling to blot some of the water and then spread on a cookie sheet in a single layer and freeze then put into freezer containers or plastic bags. I usually are good until the next year (if they last that long).

I don't wash my blueberries until I am ready to use them. I just put them on a cookie sheet and get the stems out then I just put them in gallon bags and freeze them. When I am ready to use I just run under cool water and dry quickly.

I was visiting relatives recently and the home-frozen blueberry skins were very tough. (I read somewhere that someone in this situation just threw those bags of blueberries away.) I simply put them through a small blender and ended up with a product that even MORE perfect for the plain yogurt they were going into! So yummy. Would have worked well for hot oatmeal, for muffins or breads, too.

July 17, 2010 Flag

It's blueberry season! Don't forget to freeze this delicious and nutritious, full of antioxidants fruit right now! The price is a fraction of the winter price and you can find local suppliers so this is a huge carbon footprint savings from winter purchases of blueberries. So easy, just freeze in glass jars to use later for smoothies, jams, etc. Layer on a cookie sheet and pre-freeze first, then add to the jar so they come out as singles later.

By Kpeiffer from Denver, CO

Answers:

Freezing Blueberries

Yep. I've become a fan of simple smoothies. It's been really hot lately and a cup or less of milk, some fruit, and 3 ice cubes in the blender does the trick. My little bag of blueberries is the fruit of the month in the freezer. (08/15/2009)

By PIKKA

August 14, 2009 Flag

How do I freeze blueberries?

By marlboro from Bear, DE

Answers:

Freezing Blueberries

I follow the same recipe as the listed archive tip: rinse, drain, and freeze. (07/07/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Freezing Blueberries

It is best to lay them out flat on a tray to freeze, then put the frozen berries in zip bags, or storage boxes in the freezer. If you just put them in the freezer, you will end up with a frozen lump. (07/09/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Freezing Blueberries

I put them in ziplock freezer bags, it works fine. A quick tip, when I put them in the baggies I put 2 cups in each bag, that way whatever the recipe calls for I know there is exactly 2 cups in each bag. (07/09/2009)

By PICO

Freezing Blueberries

I would not wash the berries before I froze them. I would do it when I took them out of the freezer. If you freeze them dry, you will not have a solid lump, but will have individual berries that are easy to handle. Just put the frozen berries in a sieve and give them a rinse under the tap.

You do not have to do anything with the berries except make sure there are no stems and leaves. If you have purchased them, they should be clean. If you pick them yourself, you will have to clean them - but no washing. I freeze them either in containers or in bags. Often I freeze them dry in an ice cream pail, and leave them in that, taking out what I need. (07/14/2009)

By louel53

July 7, 2009 Flag

Blueberries are coming into season here in Texas. I buy them when they are at a low price, rinse, drain them and put in freezer bags. They are great to take out of the freezer for recipes, to put on cold cereal, or use in smoothies. Blueberries are so good for you, too.

By Bobbie

Answers:

Freezing Blueberries

In Northeast Florida, we buy blueberries every year in July when the supermarkets have them on sale at the lowest prices of the year. They come in pint size plastic containers which we put directly into the freezer. In a few days when they are completely frozen, we empty them into freezer bags and back into the freezer. We wash them as we take them out to eat. We find that 60 pints of blueberries will usually last until the next year.

Blueberries are one of the healthiest foods on this earth. Loaded with antioxidants and boy are they delicious on cereals and in smoothies. I planted several blueberry bushes in the landscape three years ago and they are starting to bear some fruit. Enjoy them to their fullest! (07/01/2005)

By Jim

Frozen Blueberries
Freezing Blueberries
Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesJuly 17, 2010
Blueberries in a lidded container
Storing Blueberries
Blueberries in a berry basket.
Selecting Good Blueberries
Blueberries growing on a bush.
Growing Blueberries
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🎄