Making Curtains from Comforter

I have found a second hand, king comforter the same as the one I currently have on my bed. I have 5 windows that I have not been able to treat affordably. The material of the comforters is a gold on red, good quality material.

I thought I might be able to convert to curtain panels since I now have 2 x the fabric to work with. I then could update with a solid and use the shams, etc. as accents. How would I go about making this idea take life. I have basic sewing skills, but don't want a basic look. Please help.

By Ryan from Madison, MS

I see nothing wrong in sewing basic drapes. You might end up with a disaster, if you don't know what you're doing.

One good idea is to measure the windows first and decide on the fullness, i.e.: 1+1/2 the width or 2x the width for fullness in the drape. Then, if your a bit nervous here is a super simple method that looks great! Purchase decorative hooks from a fabric store, usually in the drapery area. These come in varied colors, metals and have numerous tops that are decorative, i.e. fleur de lis, stars, plain etc.

1: You will need to decide first how many clips you will need by measuring across your fabric and dividing by how ever many will hold up the curtain quite neatly without gaps, along the top, usually 1 ring/clip for every 4", to provide a clean look. Don't go cheap here it will look real shabby. Ask the rep in the fabric drapery area, they know more than most of the clerks will. You can even take your fabric in and ask them to quickly show you how this will work.

2: Make your curtain into the rectangle, square [whatever size you have decided] by sewing up a folded over, neat hem on all sides.

3: Attach the clips across the top evenly measured out.

4: Slip the clip loops onto your curtain rod.

* You can reverse these steps 3 & 4 if you want to.

5: Hang curtain rods in the wall attachments.

6: Stand back to admire your super work!

~ You could still add a valance across the top in front of the curtain by using a valance curtain rod.

Perhaps you will have enough with the pillow shames sewn together length wise into one longer piece.

Or, If pillow shams are quite a good size, you could cut them in half horizontally and then have four lengths to sew together to create one long length of cloth to form the valance. Most valances are about 12" -14" deep

Sew a simple set of hems across the top of the length of fabric. These are only as far apart as the width of your valance rod plus a half inch or so for ease of sliding the curtain across it.

*Just think 2 horizontal lines, a couple inches [whatever] apart. The rod will go through these. If you want to enhance and jazz the valance up a bit, sew a length of beading or trim across the bottom hem. Will look super!

I hope this helps you? If it isn't clear, just repost and I will look in a few days to clarify.

Cheers !! Good luck....YOU CAN DO IT.

Frugal Window Treatment
Frugal Window Curtains
Crafts Home DecorMay 11, 2010
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
End view of rolled comforter.
Make Your Own Comforter Cover
🎉
🎄