Teach Your Children To NOT Open The Door

contest winner icon

Last night, my husband went to the home of a potential customer by appointment. A small boy (perhaps four) opened the door. My husband asked if his daddy was home. The child said yes, and invited him in. My husband, being a reasonably prudent man, told the child to go get his daddy, while he waited outside the front door.

Ten minutes later, the child's father appeared, fresh from a shower. He had apparently gotten the time of the appointment confused, and at that point, my husband entered. There was jewelry, credit cards and house keys on the coffee table.

There ARE "bad" people out there. For those who just never thought of it, please, PLEASE train your children to never ever open the door to anyone, under any circumstances. Repeat, repeat. repeat the rules to your children. Have "someone at the door" drills. It could be a matter of life and death.

By Doggy from TX

This such important info.My brother used to work for a utility company and often had to go into home ,because the meters were only accessible this way. He told many horror stories of small pre-school age kids opening the door and inviting him in. Once he saw a female (mom) asleep on the couch scantily clad.I babysit my grands and I put a slide lock up high so they can not open the door.When somone rings the bell I make them ask "who is it" before I open the door. Youcan never be to safe. Thanks for caring and sharing. JAN in NC

I hope that your husband took the opportunity to point this out to the man in this case. It being VERY evident that it was needed in that household!!

No one should open the door unless it is an expected guest. I never open my door if I am not expecting someone. I don't care. My door does not open. Leave the deliveries, leave a note, call me. But don't expect my door to open, or me to respond verbally through the door, especially if I don't know you. You will be ignored.

This should apply to the phone as well. I've phoned a couple who let their 5 year old child answer the phone and tell me that their mom is out shopping and daddy's in the garage playing with his saws. What would it take for someone watching the house to break in and get the child?

I have been teaching my kids this since they have been old enough to open a door. I test them all the time. If I'm getting in the shower I say, "ok, mommy's taking a shower, if anyone knocks on the door, what do we do?" They say "don't open it for anyone". This means everyone, including their friends. They also do not answer the phone unless they see their dad's cell # on the caller ID.

A note to itsmejan, be careful about putting the deadbolt out of reach of your children, just in case of fire and they can't get out. Mine is up high too, on one of my doors. I'm going to lower it, probably today, now that I'm thinking of it!

Boys Sparring in Taekwondo Class
Teaching Children About Personal Safety
Better Living Safety HomeFebruary 28, 2007
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Dishwasher with an open door.
Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap
Screen Door
Making a Screen Door
Teaching Your Children
Teaching Your Children