Browsing: Organizing Socks

Sock Matching Made Easy

In order to limit my frustration in matching socks, I ONLY buy the same brand over and over again. I have it written down in my wallet so I have the name and style with me when I shop. The same thing goes for my husband who is only allowed the same style white socks and black socks. We allow a few special socks to go with suits and slacks, but these are also of the same brand and can be easily matched by color.

No more problems with having 7 different types of white socks or black socks that mix with blue... and if one gets lost, there is always another to replace it!

By Danielle

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Danielle, I've been doing this for a long time and I can't believe I didn't think of it when my kids were small.

It sure makes life a little simpler. One less thing to worry about!

Barbara

I have done this with our socks for years and find that they no longer need to be matched. They are identical so are all placed in a drawer and when you need socks for the day you just take 2.

I've been doing this myself for quite some time; I have one brand of white cotton "tube" socks, and one of black cotton socks. When I buy them I buy a bunch, a couple or three dozen pair. I figure the less time I spend washing socks, the more time I have to fool around on this computer!

My daughter showed up to help me while I was in the hospital, and every pair of socks was sorted and tucked, as my Mom used to do them. NO! don't do that! It streches the elastic out and they won't last nearly as long. Just toss the black ones in the left and the white ones in the right, and I'll sort 'em out for myself.

A good while back, a local cop arrested me (for walking under the influence of alcohol, and yeah, I was guilty but I didn't know that was a crime). I told him, "Kid, my socks are older than you!" I was telling the truth. My socks probably predated him by at least two years. But he arrested me anyway. I guess there's a limit to the power of old socks. And I guess sometimes, when dealing with cops (especially when ineberated) it's a good idea to keep your mouth shut. My wit certainly served no purpose with this cop. Some cops just have no sense of humor.

I remember the old "Gold Cup" socks days, when every guy had to have a pair of socks to match his shirt. I think the socks were four dollars and fifty cents a pair, and we're talking 1966 dollars here. They were great socks, but I sure wouldn't pay that for them even then (when I was young and stupid). We did, however, need socks to match our shirts (think: burgandy pants, pink shirts, pink socks, Bass Weejuns, etc.). The shirt needed to be a Gant, but like the socks and Weejuns and everything else, it was very overpriced. I don't think I've ever owned a Gant shirt. I just figure, if they want it more than I do they can keep it.

Don't get me wrong, when I want a nice cap or shirt or whatever, I don't mind (too much) paying for it, but before I do, I'll check all the local goodwill / salvation army / habitat for humanities places. They will usually fix me up for a fraction of what my favorite menswear store would charge.

Buy all the same style and color socks, makes it easy to sort and also if one gets a hole, the other can be matched up.

If there are several people in the family, you may want to designate a different group of socks to each member.

Have a separate laundry mesh bag for each family member and have them put their socks in it.

That way it is easy to match up socks.

By Syd

There used to be a product called Matchmakers or Match Makers which consisted of probably 15 - 20 pair of colored disc (two of each color) which could be permanently affixed to the top of a matching pair of socks. They were so durable that on several occasions I was able to switch them to another pair of socks, but eventually the fastener wore out or broke. I am unable to locate these. They were made in Belton, Texas, but I haven't seen any of them in the past 10-15 years. Would love to hear from anyone who has a lead for me.

I bought different color fabric paint for each member of my family and put a dot or stripe on the toes of each sock. I also only buy white and black socks so we don't end up with one black and one navy..

I also buy different socks for my 4 boys and husband. Each has their type. This way it's easier for everyone.

What I don't understand is how socks get lost??? Where do they go? I've got a good pile of cute colored socks in my daughter's room that I have no idea where the mates are!

Recently I did buy my kids some Hanes white sport socks. I have one boy and one girl. The socks are exactly the same; however the boys have gray heel and toe and the girl's have lavender!

I love to buy socks to match outfits but white is so much easier plus you can wash in with underwear and use bleach!

about a year ago, hanes(i think it was hanes?) put out a commercial showing a one legged alien(stating somwhat to the effect) that this is where you missing socks go. don't know if anyone remembers this commercial.

explained the age old question of where missing socks went(LOL)

A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
Organizing ClothingNovember 23, 2004
Making a Sock Puppet
Making a Sock Puppet
Sock Monkey Face
Making a Sock Monkey
Shirts on Sale
Tips for Price Matching
sock snowman
Uses for Old Socks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 8:29:08 AM on 10.0.2.36 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.