Killing Stinging Nettles

I am desperate for a cheap and environmentally friendly way of getting rid of stinging nettles. Is there any alternative to just pulling them out by hand or am I just dreaming?

By Ayesha

Get rid of them? Holy cow I wish we had them! They are delish! No, I'm not kidding. Use them in any cooked dish instead of spinach. I am including a couple of links for recipes, the first one also will talk you through how to prepare them.

Lucky! Lucky! Lucky you!

Hi, thanks for the lovely ideas but I am afraid I don't just have a few nettles, out of about 4 acres 1 acre is a dense jungle mostly of huge nettles. As we are trying to become as self sufficient as possible I really can't spare that much land, but I promise I will keep a few for wildlife and to make soup.

The short answer has to be "no". As far as I know there is no non-chemical method of getting rid of this area of nettles short of pulling them out by hand, and that will take forever. Good luck.

August 7, 2010 Flag

My question is about a property I own in zone 4b. I have a patch of Nettles the stinging ones that grows in a Strawberry and fern area. When is the correct time to put weed killer such as roundup on them? And is there a kill product that would not kill the other plants in this area?

Chyrel from Red Bluff

Killing Stinging Nettles

I usually suck it up and pull them out with thick leather gloves. I'm not sure, but I think they're perennials? So pulling would be really effective, especially if you don't want to hurt the strawberries and ferns, (or eat Round-up residue, ick). Be careful, though! Supposedly it's only a "seven-minute-itch", but they really make me break out. Good luck! (10/22/2007)

By Beth from MA

Killing Stinging Nettles

Thanks Beth. I have done that dig up thingy several times and they continue to return. From what I have read yes they are perennials, but they also have a flowering seed that lies in wait. A good time they have said to pull them is while they are short. Only I have found that even digging up the whole roots does not help. Seems they have a habit of growing where nitrogen is high levels and this is cause by feces from animals. So beware if dogs and cats frequently use your yard as a littler box; you may have nettles. Now why the nettles don't bother them is another question? (10/22/2007)

By lil_bowshooter

Killing Stinging Nettles

I put Roundup on my stinging nettles when they were very tall, and it killed them quite effectively. Now I don't know if they are totally gone, because sometimes with perennials, you have to use Roundup several times before it kills the root. The best time to kill them would be when they are small and young, as they are not so robust then. I don't think you need to worry about eating Roundup residue. If you get it on any plant, the plant will die, and so you will not be eating it. It is not organic by any means, but sometimes it is the best choice for a noxious and harmful plant.

By louel53

Killing Stinging Nettles

The stinging nettles is good for arthritis. Yes, I do know it does itch like heck. I found some in my back yard and I will let it grow. It is also good to make tea out of it. (10/24/2007)

By Joyce Wis

Killing Stinging Nettles

The Roundup label says it is most effective when the plant is in a stage of active growth. If you want to apply it only to the nettles, paint it on with a foam brush (gloves, of course). The nettles keep coming back after digging because the life of the plant is in the network of roots. You can tell if another plant has Roundup residue if you see any dwarfing of leaves. I think the Roundup is your best bet to clear the nettles more or less permanently. Worked well for me, I had 28 acres of fenceline full of nettles and Roundup solved it. (10/24/2007)

By kimhis

Killing Stinging Nettles

If you truly want to be frugal, you can cook and eat them. I understand they are much like spinach, cooked. Wear gloves to gather, put in pot and cover with water. Boiling takes out the sting. (10/25/2007)

By Kathy in MO

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceAugust 7, 2010
killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
A shovel in dirt with no vegetation.
Getting Rid of All Vegetation
mouse peeking out of a hole in a loaf of bread
Getting Rid of Mice Without Killing Them
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel