Finches Sitting on Infertile Eggs

My finches have been sitting on their eggs for over 2 weeks. I'm not sure of the sex. I have a "fawn" female/male and a "chocolate" female/male. I've had them a little over a month and a few weeks ago I realized they were sitting on eggs.

There is always one of them in the nest so I can't get in there to examine the eggs. How do I get the finch out of the nest without scaring it to death to examine the eggs. How long will they sit on infertile eggs?

carole-1 from Palm Coast, FL

I had cockatiels for years: they would sit on the eggs for almost three weeks (18 days sticks in my head) then, when they didn't hatch. They ate them. Gross, huh? I'm guessing that finches will be much the same. You can just leave the eggs under them.

If they don't eat them, they will eventually leave them and you can take them out.

I raise cockatiels and parakeets. I took a piece of cardboard from a cereal box, cut it about 4x8". Use it to get between the birds and eggs. I always give the breeding box a slight tap so they know I am going to open it. Some will leave so you can look, some must be blocked. Do not touch any eggs without washing your hands because whatever is on your hands can get into the shell and kill or defect the chick. Good luck!

I use to raise finches. Just leave them alone. If they have babies and you disturb them, they will drown them in the water bowl. Don't move the cage or anything. Any disturbance will cause them to kill the babies.

Pets BirdsOctober 28, 2008
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Breeding Society Finches
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Bengalese Finches
Breeding Bengalese Finches
🎄
🍂