Sourdough Bread Recipe

I would like a good recipe for sour dough bread that is fairly easy. I am in a wheelchair.

By knettles from Folkston, GA

Answers

This site has some excellent recipes. Here is a page that shows one bread, a boule. Look at what is highlighted on the page that says "sourdough essentials". It will give you good tips on making good sourdough. I have used the starter recipe from here but I don't eat enough of it to keep the starter going so I kind of gave up on it. It was very good though.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/multi-grain-sourdough-boule-recipe

April 25, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have a good recipe for sourdough bread? Every time I try one it turns out a disaster. Help!

By Busdrivr from Clemmons, NC

Answers:

Sourdough Bread Recipe

I get the sour dough taste by adding all the liquid, 1/4 teaspoon of the yeast, half of the flours and a tablespoon of sugar, stir to combine, cover with a tea towel for 24-48 hrs. on the counter. Every 12 hrs or so stir and add a teaspoon or two of sugar to the mixture. If making a rye, whole wheat, or grain bread, you can use brown sugar or honey for more flavor. When you are ready, add the rest of the dry and yeast, knead, let rise and bake. (04/11/2009)

By Scott E.

Sourdough Bread Recipe

Here is one from "recipelink". I have not tried it, but it is for conventional method or bread machine. This one does not need a "starter". Let me know if it is good.

Quick Sourdough French Bread (no starter needed)
Source: Pillsbury bread flour bag

Cut recipe in half for bread machine!

• 4 to 5 cups flour, divided use
  • 2 pkgs. yeast
  • 2 Tbsp. wheat germ
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • 1 cup warm water (120-130 degrees)
  • 1 cup dairy sour cream, room temperature
  • 2 Tbsp. vinegar

Place in your machine in order recommended by manufacturer.

Conventional instructions:
In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, and next 4 ingredients; blend well. Add water, sour cream, and vinegar to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in additional 2 to 2 1/2 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.

On floured surface, knead in remaining 1/2 to 1 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled.

Divide dough in half, and form into 2 oblong loaves. Place on greased cookie sheet. With a sharp knife, make 5 (1/4-inch deep) diagonal slashes on top of each loaf. Cover, let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 25 minutes.

Additional ingredients:

• 1 egg white
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • 2 tsp. poppy or sesame seeds

In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Remove bread from oven, and brush with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with seeds.

Bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet.
MSG URL: http://www.recipelink.com/msgid/319006

(04/13/2009)

By WIsgal

Sourdough Bread Recipe

Hey, do you have an active starter? if so go to this website. It's a no brainer. If I can build good bread so can you. Good luck, it's a bunch of fun. Smiles. http://www.breadtopia.com/ (04/13/2009)

By debit4857

Sourdough Bread Recipe

I got my starter online from King Arthur flour and have had it for a year now. They send 2 recipes with the starter. I also got one online for extra tangy sourdough. That's the one we like the best. If you would like it let me know. (05/09/2009)

By Merlene from Winston-Salem, NC

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads Sour DoughApril 25, 2011
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
sourdough starter
Sourdough Starter Recipes
🎉
🎄