Dog Losing Fur

I have a 9 yr. old Chow, who is losing her fur, on her bottom and now along the sides of her body. The vet gave me medicine for allergies, but it is not working. Someone told me to try Gold Bond powder and another said give her vitamin A. She does not scratch the areas, and it is not irritated.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her?

By Ann

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I'm surprised by how many people use rather radical methods because a dog is shedding. While you always want to check with a vet, there is probably a very simple solution! Most people tend to feed their dogs lots of dry food, and very little wet food, if any at all. This simply reduces the amount of oil and fat they get in their diet. Like all animals with hair, dogs need this oil and fat to help them maintain a healthy coat. Without it, they start shedding like mad.

Use eggs, olive oil, or other oily/fatty replacements with their food to help create a healthy coat. You don't need to buy any fancy products, just a little olive oil on the dry food can have a noticeable effect.

Best Answer

Some dogs are allergic to wheat or corn in their food. Corn is very common in most dog foods and treats, and if there is an allergy, the dog's hair will fall out and they will begin scratching. Our dog is allergic to corn and we started buying a natural, corn-free food at our local pet store and it helped tremendously. Also, we started bathing him with a gentle oatmeal shampoo to keep his skin from drying out.

I found this while browsing for your inquiry. I hope you learn what your dog's condition is and that she gets better. Good luck! http://www.nativeremedies.com/petal ... es/common-causes-hair-loss-dogs.html

Yes. I have a great suggestion, and I recommend it for people as well. I saw a hair restoration miracle on an elderly pekinese and it's owner's husband as well.

The dog was losing it's hair and looked like it was on it's way to doggie heaven when I visited this elderly couple [late 70's], who were my neighbors around the block and my plant swap partners. I inquired and was told, as you were that nothing was really wrong. My neighbor looked at the dog's skin under a magnifying glass and saw it looked just a bit reddish/pinkish around the hair follicles. She went to a health food store and got some emu oil shampoo and eventually some emu oil. Dog got bathed probably once or twice a week for a bit and then skin oiled at the skin surface with the oil. I came back over about 2-3 months later and thought she had bought a new puppy and the old one must have died. It was the same dog, with a thick coat of healthy hair. Not only that they had rubbed it on hubby's head and he had fuzz growing everywhere he'd been bald [mostly bald with only a fringe].

I would also recommend the oil of cod liver oil capsules on food: it contains vitamins a and d, both very important to skin and immune system.

Hello,

I have worked for a Veterinarian for many many years. Did your Vet do a skin scraping? If not, he/she should and check for any mites/parasites on the skin. Please go back.

My Chow has the same problem and it turned out she had a thyroid problem she was put on pills and all her fur grew back and she is like a different dog.

Answer

My 7-year old long hair Doxie, has a horrible skin rash on her chest and arm pits. She is losing her fur and has an odor. The vet gave her a cortisone shot about a month ago, but that has not helped the rash. She doesn't scratch as much, but it doesn't look good.

By Marge L from Galloway, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

That does sound like itching from allergies or some other skin condition and maybe a longer course of oral steroids would help. But something else to consider, especially if your dog is also tired, is a thyroid condition. When I was a kid, our dachshund started losing hair and gaining weight. The vet kept treating it as a skin condition and wanted to shave off all Snoopy's hair and treat him with special lotions for several weeks. My mom took him to another vet who diagnosed low thyroid hormone. He took a pill every day and was back to normal in no time. He lived to be 15 years old.

My dog is constantly losing its fur. What can the problem be?

Dog Losing Fur

Use eggs, olive oil, or other oily/fatty replacements with their food to help create a healthy coat. You don't need to buy any fancy products, just a little olive oil on the dry food can have a noticeable effect. (12/16/2008)

By Ayshala

Dog Losing Fur

Some dogs are allergic to wheat or corn in their food. Corn is very common in most dog foods and treats, and if there is an allergy, the dog's hair will fall out and they will begin scratching. Our dog is allergic to corn and we started buying a natural, corn-free food at our local pet store and it helped tremendously. Also, we started bathing him with a gentle oatmeal shampoo to keep his skin from drying out. (12/16/2008)

By ajf54

Dog Losing Fur

This has also been happening to my daughter's cat, her cat is loosing her fir in about 1 inch patches and the skin gets raw with scabs on it. At first (back about 3 years ago, we thought it was from fleas, but the vet said it was probably more likely an allergy to the fleas, but the cat has no fleas. But my daughter has to get her a cortisone shot every 6 months or so when the sores get really bad. This only helps, it usually won't make it go totally away.

I talked to some knowledgeable folks at a specialty pet food store and they told me it might be a food allergy, but even though we've tried special "allergy" cat foods the cat is too much of a picky eater and won't eat it. Here's what I'm getting to, I was very surprised when they also told me that pets can loose their fur, by just being under stress! Is your dog under stress? Did you bring another animal into the house or is he afraid of another dog in the neighborhood? Did you suddenly go to work and leave him home by himself or something like that?

This is where I get my answers, from Mud Bay Granary. You can call them and ask questions, but they also have lots of info up on their web site! One of the things they recommend for animals fur and skin is salmon oil and other Omega 3s. I know your dog's skin isn't itchy, but I did pull up their info on the subject. They are happy to answer questions over the phone and have an 800 number, but they don't ship through the mail.

Mud Bay Grainery:
mudbay.us (12/16/2008)

By Cyinda

Dog Losing Fur

I found my answer on this website. Neem oil! You can get neem shampoo for your pets and it will heal their skin even if it is mange. Of course, my first recommendation is the vet. I bathe my pets with neem shampoo at least once a month and no more skin problems. (12/19/2008)

By stngray

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My Labrador is losing a lot of fur. He is 12 months old.

Monique

Dog Losing Fur

Hi Monique, we have an almost 2 year old yellow lab and she lost a LOT of fur, but it was normal shedding for a lab. They have 2 coats and shed a lot. I have to vacuum everyday and change the bag on my vacuum every 2 weeks if that gives you any idea of how much fur we pick up. A vet check is always in order, as we took our Chloe in, but it was just normal shedding for a lab. Good Luck! (01/23/2007)

RE: Dog Losing Fur

Dog Losing Fur

Please take your dog to a Vet.

Jennifer
Northern Virginia (01/23/2007)

By ILuvDobes

Dog Losing Fur

Please look into NZYMES @ WWW.NZYMES.COM. It has worked very well for my dog. She had pneumonia and I truly believe this product saved her life. It also stopped her allergies and the problems she had with rashes and chewing her feet. If you want you can email me directly at nancyilka AT sbcglobal dot net. Good luck, Nancy (01/23/2007)

By nancy

Dog Losing Fur

Feed less dry food, and for a time, add two beaten raw eggs along with a shake of garlic powder to it when you do feed. Don't use strong shampoo if you are cleaning the dog. If this doesn't help, call the local shelter and ask if they have any low cost vet advice, or could they suggest anything for you.
God bless you. : ) (01/25/2007)

By Lynda

Dog Losing Fur

Hey. My dog fur is losing too much, when we just touch her it all comes out, and it's a lot. I really don't know what do. It's been for a few months.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Have you taken your dog to the vet? It could be a lot of reasons from just normal shedding, a flea allergy, mange, or another health problem.

(03/24/2007)

By ophilia

my dog fur is losing to much!!!

Dog Losing Fur

Our dog has the same problem. I just read a wonderful website. WWW.ENZYME.COM I believe this is whats going to save my dog. Our dog has been "diagnosed" by a vet for allergies yet nothing he's done had helped her. I am going to try this Enzyme Yeast treatment. I think that is whats wrong with her and the vets don't want to tell you because they want your money. Our poor dog has NO fur almost and has a bone for a tail because of no fur. Bad enough, I've sewn her clothing to wear in the winter. It's quite frankly revolting to look at her, but she's such a beautiful dog before all this. If this fixes her I have many thanks to Post By nancy (Guest Post) (01/23/2007) for posting! (10/27/2007)

By SoldierLover

Dog Losing Fur

My Australian Shepherd is losing fur along his collar line and along both thighs, this didn't start until I went on a trip for 6 weeks and I noticed it when I came back, what can I do to help his fur come back. (11/28/2007)

Dog Losing Fur

Hi, my chihuahua has an extreme problem with fleas. I washed him with flea shampoo and the next day we was infested again. This morning i discovered a bald patch that looked like a handful of hair had just been shaved off. Because he's so small the bald patch is about 1/10 of his whole body. I'm really worried and my parents are buying frontline plus again. I don't know what's wrong with him and what I can do. (12/03/2007)

By Jacky

Dog Losing Fur

I have a small mixed breed ( possible chihuahua/dachshund ) and she already has had a bout of mange which she had 2 small patches of hair loss. Our vet gave me a cream which we applied for about 7-8 weeks and the spots have been fine for over a month now. But now she is losing hair a lot all over, no patches though. The hair on her belly is now very thin and when you pet her, the hair just flies off her. She doesn't seem to be bothered by any itching. Any thoughts? (08/14/2008)

By dory's mom

Dog Losing Fur GSP

Hi, we have a female GSP that is losing hair every day, however she is still fully covered in fact has increased some hair down her back which is quite thick. She has no skin issues and is showered once a week. We need to sweep each day if she is in the house. She is 4 1/2 years old.

4 days ago without any symptoms she collapsed and died from acute myeliod leukemia, she had no white blood cells or platelets at the time she collapsed and had been active in the days before. We are not sure if this hair loss was a sign. She had been to the vet previously, he said this may be heat related.(08/22/2008)

By Gary

Dog Losing Fur

I have a golden Labrador nearly 13 who is losing hair near her bottom area. I have asked the vet who has said nothing to worry about, but she seems to be losing more and more each day. Any ideas? (09/11/2008)

By Julie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Dog Loosing Hair
Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 27, 2010
Cleaning Mink Fur
Cleaning Mink Fur
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Bunny Losing Its Fur
Bunny Losing Its Fur
pink dog
Dyeing a Dog's Fur Safely
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 1, 2016 at 12:06:55 AM on 10.0.0.118 in 340 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.