Browsing: Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs

Dog Losing Fur

I have a 9 yr. old Chow, who is losing her fur, on her bottom and now along the sides of her body. The vet gave me medicine for allergies, but it is not working. Someone told me to try Gold Bond powder and another said give her vitamin A. She does not scratch the areas, and it is not irritated.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her?

By Ann

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I'm surprised by how many people use rather radical methods because a dog is shedding. While you always want to check with a vet, there is probably a very simple solution! Most people tend to feed their dogs lots of dry food, and very little wet food, if any at all. This simply reduces the amount of oil and fat they get in their diet. Like all animals with hair, dogs need this oil and fat to help them maintain a healthy coat. Without it, they start shedding like mad.

Use eggs, olive oil, or other oily/fatty replacements with their food to help create a healthy coat. You don't need to buy any fancy products, just a little olive oil on the dry food can have a noticeable effect.

Best Answer

Some dogs are allergic to wheat or corn in their food. Corn is very common in most dog foods and treats, and if there is an allergy, the dog's hair will fall out and they will begin scratching. Our dog is allergic to corn and we started buying a natural, corn-free food at our local pet store and it helped tremendously. Also, we started bathing him with a gentle oatmeal shampoo to keep his skin from drying out.

I found this while browsing for your inquiry. I hope you learn what your dog's condition is and that she gets better. Good luck! http://www.nativeremedies.com/petal ... es/common-causes-hair-loss-dogs.html

Yes. I have a great suggestion, and I recommend it for people as well. I saw a hair restoration miracle on an elderly pekinese and it's owner's husband as well.

The dog was losing it's hair and looked like it was on it's way to doggie heaven when I visited this elderly couple [late 70's], who were my neighbors around the block and my plant swap partners. I inquired and was told, as you were that nothing was really wrong. My neighbor looked at the dog's skin under a magnifying glass and saw it looked just a bit reddish/pinkish around the hair follicles. She went to a health food store and got some emu oil shampoo and eventually some emu oil. Dog got bathed probably once or twice a week for a bit and then skin oiled at the skin surface with the oil. I came back over about 2-3 months later and thought she had bought a new puppy and the old one must have died. It was the same dog, with a thick coat of healthy hair. Not only that they had rubbed it on hubby's head and he had fuzz growing everywhere he'd been bald [mostly bald with only a fringe].

I would also recommend the oil of cod liver oil capsules on food: it contains vitamins a and d, both very important to skin and immune system.

Hello,

I have worked for a Veterinarian for many many years. Did your Vet do a skin scraping? If not, he/she should and check for any mites/parasites on the skin. Please go back.

My Chow has the same problem and it turned out she had a thyroid problem she was put on pills and all her fur grew back and she is like a different dog.

Dog Loosing Hair
Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 27, 2010
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Bunny Losing Its Fur
Bunny Losing Its Fur
Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed
Dachshund Losing Hair
pink dog
Dyeing a Dog's Fur Safely
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 8:07:27 AM on 10.0.2.251 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.