Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Slugs Inside My House

How can I get rid of slugs? They come in my living room every night and climb over everything and leave their awful slime. I got one the other night so thought that would be the end of it, but no. There must be loads of them! I need some help on this, the slime is driving me mad.

By Rosie931 from UK

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By steve [3]09/14/2010

Hi I don't even know how they are getting inside back kitchen! Looking at drain pipes outside no holes around them, solid concrete floor, no gap under back door now, please how are they getting in, any answers?

By Melissa M. [25]11/02/2009

Salt! Salt will stop them in their tracks, I put Sea Salt on my porch and anywhere else I see them, they are stopped immediately and die. Doesn't have to be sea salt, it's just easier to see where you've put it.

By MeloRama11/02/2009

Wow! I am so pleased to know that I'm not alone. The post by Stuart on 01/14/09 sounds just like my situation. In fact, I first saw the trails on my carpet two weeks ago and couldn't figure out what was happening. Then last week I caught one and put it outside. I thought that was it. But then, tonight I ended up relocating three more slugs. So- I promptly freaked out and searched online about how to get rid of them. I'm now concerned that they may have laid some eggs under my filing cabinet or bookshelf. I will try your suggestions with the salt tonight! Thank you all for posting.

By Tim Lawson [13]06/28/2009

Put out a glass of old beer. Or do you call it ale in the UK? I remember some gardener telling me that that will get rid of them.

By Robyn Fed [388]06/27/2009

I would sprinkle salt over doorways and on the carpet and all over. I do that for flea control also in the house, that and vacuuming. I hate slugs. I know they hate salt so I would put salt over everything.

By Myrna [13]06/26/2009

Slugs don't like to crawl over anything scratchy like sand that cuts. Put some around the outside of the house. You could also glue loose sand over a large cardboard and lay it down at night where the slugs are entering/exiting once you learn that and lift it during the daytime. Good luck!

By Cyinda [214]06/26/2009

Find out where they come in then place a thin strip of copper foil tape along the door base or window. The slugs won't crawl over copper. This is great for window boxes! You can find copper tape at plant nurseries or hardware stores. I bought a large roll for around $5 - $7. It comes in several thickness. A thin piece of real copper screwed down will also work.